Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect to airport express

how do i conenct an airport express to a new wi-fi network

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 7:06 AM

Thank you for the very detailed information. This is really helpful. I believe that we can get things working for you with the AirPort Express with a better understanding of how you want it to operate on the Orange network.

Do you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using only a Wi-Fi connection, or will the AirPort Express be permanently connected to the Orange modem/router using an Ethernet cable?

The general rule with the AirPort Express is if you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using only Wi-Fi, then you set it up that way with AirPort Utility.....using only Wi-Fi.....and not Ethernet.

But, even if the AirPort Express was set up incorrectly, I do not understand why it would crash the Orange modem/router.

If you disconnect the AirPort Express and power off and restart the Orange modem/router, does the Orange now work OK?

If yes, we can set up the AirPort Express now, but we will need clarification on how you want it to connect to the Orange network. Will the Express connect using only Wi-Fi to the Orange Wi-Fi network....or....will the Express be permanently connected to the Orange modem/router using an Ethernet cable?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 7:06 AM in response to James Roberston

Thank you for the very detailed information. This is really helpful. I believe that we can get things working for you with the AirPort Express with a better understanding of how you want it to operate on the Orange network.

Do you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using only a Wi-Fi connection, or will the AirPort Express be permanently connected to the Orange modem/router using an Ethernet cable?

The general rule with the AirPort Express is if you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using only Wi-Fi, then you set it up that way with AirPort Utility.....using only Wi-Fi.....and not Ethernet.

But, even if the AirPort Express was set up incorrectly, I do not understand why it would crash the Orange modem/router.

If you disconnect the AirPort Express and power off and restart the Orange modem/router, does the Orange now work OK?

If yes, we can set up the AirPort Express now, but we will need clarification on how you want it to connect to the Orange network. Will the Express connect using only Wi-Fi to the Orange Wi-Fi network....or....will the Express be permanently connected to the Orange modem/router using an Ethernet cable?

Feb 2, 2023 3:39 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

thanks for responding. I have the A1264 model. I am using my MacBook Pro ro run Airport Utility.

I think I need to change my question and need your advice.

I managed to reconfigure the Airport, gave it a new name and joined it to the new network. I made it a client/bridge (I for get which words Airport Utility uses) and gave it its own password. From what I could see I did all this correctly. I had it connected by Ethernet to the modem while I did this.

Immediately, the ADSL modem/router crashed. Any further attempts to start up the Airport crashed the modem.

I am in France and the modem/router is Orange’s Livebox 4. There is no reason for you to know it unless you’re also in France, but as far as I can tell it is a modern, everyday modem, much like any other ADSL modem. (I am awaiting fiber but the French bureaucracy moves every slowly.)

Do you know of any reason why an Airport Express client would crash a modem?

Alternatively, if the modem and the Airport are incompatible (for whatever reason) can you recommend an alternative to Airport Express? It’s connected to my amplifier and I use for streaming music to the Hi-fi system.

Any advice will be very welcome.

Thanks,

James

Feb 3, 2023 2:26 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

thank you so much foir taking the time to help me out.

>>Do you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using

only a Wi-Fi connection, or will the AirPort Express be permanently

connected to the Orange modem/router using an Ethernet cable?<<

I want it to connect by Wi-Fi only. I have had this up and running, but the change is that I and to instal a new Livebox (The Orange name for their modem). Naturally the new Livebox has its own Wi-Fi and so I reconnected all the computers, iPads, etc. to the new Wi-Fi network.

The problem came when I got to connecting the Airport Express.

Anyway, the AE is plugged into my Hi-Fi and we stream music from iPads, etc, to the AE. So there is no need for it to connect directly to Orange, just to the house Wi-Fi.

>>The general rule with the AirPort Express is if you want the AirPort

Express to connect to the Orange network using only Wi-Fi, then you set

it up that way with AirPort Utility.....using only Wi-Fi.....and not

Ethernet.<<

I did try that, but Airport Utility failed to find the Express. Presumably because it was still configured for the old Wi-Fi network. Now that I have reconfigured the Express to the Orange network, my MacBook Pro should be able to find it.

This is why I switched to using Ethernet. So far I have been connecting the Airport to the Livebox by Ethenet cable. Perhaps I should have connected to the MacBook’s Ethenet. As soon as I post this I shall try using Wi-Fi only and see if I get a result.

>>If you disconnect the AirPort Express and power off and restart the Orange modem/router, does the Orange now work OK?<<

Yes, after restarting, it goes right back to running as normal.

>>If yes, we can set up the AirPort Express now, but we will need

clarification on how you want it to connect to the Orange network. Will

the Express connect using only Wi-Fi to the Orange Wi-Fi

network....or....will the Express be permanently connected to the Orange

modem/router using an Ethernet cable?<<

The Express only needs to connect to the Orange Wi-Fi. IT is not used for anything but streamng music. I understand that this means it should be set up as a "client" or "bridge" (whichever term is used in the Airport Utility).

I shall give it another shot using Wi-Fi only, and let you know.

Again, thank you for taking the time, and having the knowledge to help.

James

Feb 3, 2023 2:46 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, you did it:

>>The general rule with the AirPort Express is if you want the AirPort Express to connect to the Orange network using only Wi-Fi, then you set it up that way with AirPort Utility.....using only Wi-Fi.....and not Ethernet.<<

I plugged it in, used Airport Utility to tweak a parameter or two, and bingo! It works.

Thank you for taking the time to guide me through this.

BTW, I don't know what order these messages appear in, but I hope you read this one first and save you the slog through my previous long one.

I am grateful for your help. My wife, the music lover, is too.

James

connect to airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.