Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do you mean by stating a "native" anti-malware program for a MacBook Pro with N1Chip?

What does advise mean by stating a “native” anti-malware program for a MacBook Pro with N1Chip? I have been searching for anti-malware and VPN for my MacBook Pro with a N1Chip. Everyone has an opinion and the supposed 'best' software changes depending on who you ask. I have tried several 'free' VPNs that have slowed my computer down and blocked some of the software I have on my MacBook. Am I wasting my time searching?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 3:15 PM

The native anti malware is the built in malware protection. You won't need extra anti virus or malware software. If you want to scan your system for potential malware, use malware bytes, anti malware. The free version is good enough.

If you don't suspect malware, macOS built in security is good enough to protect you from threats

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2023 3:15 PM in response to katsnme

The native anti malware is the built in malware protection. You won't need extra anti virus or malware software. If you want to scan your system for potential malware, use malware bytes, anti malware. The free version is good enough.

If you don't suspect malware, macOS built in security is good enough to protect you from threats

Feb 1, 2023 3:30 PM in response to katsnme

There is no need to use a Third-party virus scanner to waste computer resources at all times reading each and every one of your files, non-stop, looking for patterns that match antique windows viruses.

MacOS simply controls what can be come executable. Nothing can become executable without you allowing stand providing your admin password. System Directories are locked and checksummed. They can't be changed without detection.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Feb 1, 2023 5:39 PM in response to katsnme

macOS has a number of built-in ('native') capabilities to prevent and deal with malware & viruses. The one you have probably heard about is called XProtect. macOS has always been a secure operating system and Apple continues to add security capabilities to it.

Most experienced users in these forums will tell you that you do not need any extra anti-virus applications ... and they are probably correct. Most anti-virus apps only burden your system, some create more problems than they could possibly solve, and some of them are even borderline malware.

As for a VPN, the question is ... why do you even want a VPN? It doesn't sound like an employer is requiring it in your case.

What do you mean by stating a "native" anti-malware program for a MacBook Pro with N1Chip?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.