Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Mac Pro mid 2012 and I need to update to a macos 11. or higher please advise

I have Mac Pro mid 2012 and I need to update to a macos 11. or higher please advise

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 2:13 PM

The Mac Pro mid-2012 cannot be upgraded beyond maOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

It is incapable of running 10.15 Catalina and higher, including macOS 11 Big Sur.

If you must run macOS 11 Big Sur, then you will have to find a newer Mac.

➡️ macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the Macs listed here 

Also, be aware that you may need to update your current (non-Apple) applications because since Catalina, the macOS requires 64-bit apps. Your 32-bit apps will not work.

To find out which of your apps won't work in Catalina and Big Sur, use this free utility – St. Claire Go64 – to check the compatibility of your apps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 2:13 PM in response to bre54

The Mac Pro mid-2012 cannot be upgraded beyond maOS 10.14.6 Mojave.

It is incapable of running 10.15 Catalina and higher, including macOS 11 Big Sur.

If you must run macOS 11 Big Sur, then you will have to find a newer Mac.

➡️ macOS 11 Big Sur is compatible with the Macs listed here 

Also, be aware that you may need to update your current (non-Apple) applications because since Catalina, the macOS requires 64-bit apps. Your 32-bit apps will not work.

To find out which of your apps won't work in Catalina and Big Sur, use this free utility – St. Claire Go64 – to check the compatibility of your apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.