Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update my iPhone 6 to iOS 15?

I just decided to start using Apple product for the first time and I realize for me to have a better experience I don’t have to use iPhone 6 but iPhone 7 because most of the apps are for iOS 13 and above while on my iPhone6 my OS is 12. Is there a way I can upgrade to iOS 15 or I just have to change the device?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 9:53 AM

iPhone 6 can only be updated as far as iOS 12.5.7. That's the end of the road for the iPhone 6, so if you need to run a higher iOS version, you will need a newer phone.

An iPhone 7 can handle iOS 15.7.3, but that's it.

An iPhone 8 or higher can run the latest iOS 16.3.

If you are looking at a new phone, my recommendation would be to choose a model that can run the latest iOS 16 versions.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 9:53 AM in response to MrIsaacMiyim

iPhone 6 can only be updated as far as iOS 12.5.7. That's the end of the road for the iPhone 6, so if you need to run a higher iOS version, you will need a newer phone.

An iPhone 7 can handle iOS 15.7.3, but that's it.

An iPhone 8 or higher can run the latest iOS 16.3.

If you are looking at a new phone, my recommendation would be to choose a model that can run the latest iOS 16 versions.

Feb 2, 2023 9:56 AM in response to MrIsaacMiyim

Your iPhone 6 will not update any higher. But if you want to be able to take advantage of Apple’s latest iOS update - 16.3 - you will need an iPhone 8 or higher. I’m not sure where you read that “most apps are for iOS 13 or above,” But in my experience, many apps are now requiring the latest iOS - 16.3. The iPhone 7 will only update to 15.7.

Can I update my iPhone 6 to iOS 15?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.