Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Garble During Calls

Every time I use my AirPods for a phone call they work fine for about 5 minutes then they start cutting in/out and being garbled, crackling where I can’t hear the other person at all. My airpods only do this during calls. They work perfectly fine for music, streaming movies etc. What causes this to happen and can I change a setting to stop it? I’ve reset everything, unpaired and paired and still have the same issue every time I’m on a call. I have wifi calling activated. Is that the issue? Should I turn it off?

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 3:35 PM

Hello,

Hmm, it could be wireless interference. See this:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

Good luck.

4 replies

Feb 3, 2023 12:27 AM in response to MrBill3

I read the article but this happens no matter where I am. My phone is usually in my pocket, right next to me or in my hand when this happens. It happens in every setting. In my home where I have strong wifi, in my office at work where I don’t have many devices connected to wifi, in my car driving, out in the open, literally everywhere. The AirPods work perfectly for the first several minutes of the call then they start to make almost like alien noises. If I have one in and switch it I can usually get a few minutes with the fresh one before it happens again. I’m not sure if I should just buy a new pair but don’t want to do that if the same issue will happen. My phone is new and my AirPods have never been damaged in any way.

Mar 9, 2023 2:09 PM in response to bettyboop0908

Mine do the same thing. They start off fine and then they go all garbled. Only happens on telephone calls and any video calls. The only way I have been able to fix it is to tell the other person to hold on and put my AirPods back into their case and then take them out again and reconnect them to either my phone or my MAC. Very annoying and it only started to happen after the last firmware update.

Airpods Garble During Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.