Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac to Seagate external hard drive connectivity issues

I have used a seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive for years. I don't use it often - just for very big files and old photos. Everything on the HDD was saved from my imac or macbook. The imac can no longer connect to the Seagate HDD. Have done the troubleshooting. Different ports on imac make no difference. And my windows PC laptop can see and open files on the Seagate, but the imac cannot. The disk utility in imac can see the seagate, but says it's unmounted and when I click on mount I get: "Could not mount “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49153.)".

Seagate help wants me to re-format the disk drive but this will erase everything... Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 5:02 PM

Try to access the disk in Safe mode. Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Also, try to repair the storage device in Disk Utility on Mac: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Disk Utility can check for and fix errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac storage device.

Jack

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2023 5:02 PM in response to Seagateconnectivity

Try to access the disk in Safe mode. Safe mode can help you to determine whether an issue is caused by software that loads as your Mac starts up: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support.

Also, try to repair the storage device in Disk Utility on Mac: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Disk Utility can check for and fix errors related to the formatting and directory structure of a Mac storage device.

Jack

Feb 2, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Jack-19

OK, I tried repairing the storage device:

I can't access a volume as the Seagate is unmounted/greyed out. When I click on "mount" I get an error message: “Seagate Backup Plus Drive”. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49153.)"

When I try to repair the storage device (or is it the container?) it fails too.

I will try accessing the disk in safe mode...

Feb 2, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Jack-19

So I rebooted in safe mode. Same problem - Seagate grey and not mounted. Mount failed.

This time my little USB store-and-go was also grey (previously working, noooo!), also unmounted and mount failed.

So I rebooted back to normal, preparing myself to reinstall MacOS, and lo and behold, there they both were!

The Seagate works again :)

Somehow the safe boot fixed it and it's now accessible and connected.

You are a legend!! Thank you both so much!

Feb 3, 2023 6:07 PM in response to Seagateconnectivity

Hi Seagateconnectivity , I had an almost similar issue, with the identical error message. Research lead me to advice that this error could be overcome by attaching the drive to a Linux computer. I did just that and voila it was readable on that device, I quickly copied all files onto another hard drive and all was well. Hope this helps.I erased the drive reformatted it to HFS+ and have been using since without issue.

Imac to Seagate external hard drive connectivity issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.