Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule won't power up

My time capsule failed with the symptoms mentioned below. My Time Capsule's date code is just after the date code mentioned in the Apple Bulletin. Is my Time Capsule eligible for the repair mentioned. It has the exact same symptoms.

I expected it to be a reliable piece of equipment.

"Symptoms
Some Time Capsules sold between approximately February 2008 and June 2008 may not power on or may shut down unexpectedly after starting up.

Products Affected
Time Capsule
Resolution
Affected Time Capsule models
Some Time Capsules with serial numbers in the following range may be affected:
XX807XXXXXX - XX814XXXXXX"

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3351

2 MacBook Core 2 Duos - MacMini - AppleTV, Mac OS X (10.6), iPod Touch - iPod Classic - iPad

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 1:29 PM

9 replies

Aug 16, 2010 5:37 PM in response to CitizenX

My time capsule failed with the symptoms mentioned below. My Time Capsule's date code is just after the date code mentioned in the Apple Bulletin. Is my Time Capsule eligible for the repair mentioned. It has the exact same symptoms.

Although the article mentions a range of dates, it is the serial numbers that I think it is calling out that determines, whether or not, your TC is eligible. If you TC falls within those serial numbers, then it SHOULD be eligible.

I would suggest contacting your local Apple Retailer and have them check it out.

Aug 17, 2010 1:47 PM in response to CitizenX

I have used that article myself just recently @ Apple stores (coz I'm in the same boat). If you notice, article talks about +"some" TC and "approximately dates"+ this way they are just making all this mess sound like it is a MINOR manufacturing glitch for limited number of units.

BUT I'm glad that they have used these +"some" TC and "approximately dates"+ terms, which also means other units NOT within this range could be eligible 😉

Just walk into Apple store with that article copy and I'm sure they will cover you. Good luck!

Aug 25, 2010 7:07 AM in response to CitizenX

Had the same problem described by CitizenX, but when I went to the Apple Store this morning, they said the serial number is out of that range, so my TC is not eligible. They even proposed to exchange it for a new one, but I would have paid more than buying a new one...

CitizenX, would you mind telling me the digits of your TC?
Thanks!

Aug 26, 2010 6:36 AM in response to Fedy71

The digits on mine were 834 if I remember right.

I actually had an easy time getting mine repaired under the terms of the tech note. It obviously met the criteria except for the code being in range and quite frankly, I expected better long term performance from the thing. When it went out, I was truly disappointed.

When the genius took it in back to test it, I guess he immediately recognized it was the power supply, which I understand is the root of the problem.

I'd suggest you try again and escalate if necessary.

Oct 31, 2010 4:48 PM in response to CitizenX

My serial number is in the 834 range as well. My Time Capsule died Friday morning. It was 20 months old. Did you have any luck when you called Apple Care?

I have seen gone to Airport Extreme and I am going to hook up an external hard drive. I'm still trying to figure out if I can easily get he hard drive out of the Time Capsule to save the data.

Oct 31, 2010 4:58 PM in response to Daniel Wieder

I'm still trying to figure out if I can easily get he hard drive out of the Time Capsule to save the data.

You'll need a hairdryer, assorted screwdrivers and some patience, but it can be done without too much difficulty. Use the hairdryer to heat up the rubber mat on the bottom so that it will be easier to peel back the pad from the base.

There's plenty of screws to remove from the bottom plate, but once you have it off, things are pretty straightforward. If this is your first time, it may take 25-30 minutes just to get the case open.

The following link should provide some help:

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/79/page1

Time Capsule won't power up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.