Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone to HL-L2350DW Printer no WiFi

Recently bought the Brother HL-L2350DW printer after Microcenter assured me I could print by connecting iPhone SE to it with a USB C cable. I DO NOT have access to WiFi. Is it possible to print this way? Is there a Lightning to USB OTG adapter to link iPhone SE to the USB C cable that would work? Or is there a lightning to USB C cable that would work for printing?

iPhone SE

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 12:27 AM

The use of a cellular data service (mobile data) on the iPhone for Internet access may result in additional costs, unless you have an unlimited data plan. So, make sure that you use cellular data only when needed, and in accordance with your data plan. If necessary, turn off cellular data. See also:

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

Connect iPhone to the internet – Apple Support (UK)

A local connection to your own Wi-Fi network will not incur any costs per se. Depending on the cellular service and the plan, you may want to turn off cellular data in order to prevent any automatic and unwanted mobile Internet use.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 12:27 AM in response to petie3

The use of a cellular data service (mobile data) on the iPhone for Internet access may result in additional costs, unless you have an unlimited data plan. So, make sure that you use cellular data only when needed, and in accordance with your data plan. If necessary, turn off cellular data. See also:

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)

Connect iPhone to the internet – Apple Support (UK)

A local connection to your own Wi-Fi network will not incur any costs per se. Depending on the cellular service and the plan, you may want to turn off cellular data in order to prevent any automatic and unwanted mobile Internet use.

Feb 3, 2023 12:10 PM in response to petie3

Hi,

No, printing from an iPhone via USB is not supported.

The Brother HL-L2350DW is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model supporting Apple's AirPrint technology. The supported way of printing is by connecting the iPhone and the printer to the same network (Wi-Fi router): Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If necessary, you could perhaps carry out an experiment with a small private/local Wi-Fi network for printing purposes only. For this experiment, almost any old/spare Wi-Fi router should work (a router allowing WPS may make setup easier). You may have a friend who has an old router that is not used any more, or you could check whether a Wi-Fi router can be found in a second hand shop for just a few dollars. The idea would be to use only the local side (WLAN) of the router. The printer and the iPhone would connect wirelessly. The Internet/WAN port of the router would not be used. Please post back for additional details if of interest.

Feb 5, 2023 3:03 PM in response to petie3

Thank you. This router should be a good candidate for an experiment.

You do not need an Internet connection for this. When you say cellular, I assume that you can access the Internet using the iPhone (mobile broadband), but that will not be affected by the printing test. The intention is to establish a private/local Wi-Fi network (merely for AirPrint printing) using the Netgear router.

Do you have access to a computer? This may simplify the router setup.

You would not have to configure anything related to the Internet on the router. The Internet/Wide Area Network (WAN) port of the router will be left unconnected.

You would (manually) set up a Wi-Fi network and choose the appropriate wireless security, according to the instructions for the router.

See, for example, the applicable sections here:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR3500LV1/WNR3500L_IGPM_Combo_04Aug09.pdf

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR3500LV1/WNR3500L_SM_11JUN2010.pdf

When a Wi-Fi network has been established, you would connect the wireless devices (printer and iPhone) to this new network.

When everything is ready, power cycle the router, the printer, and the iPhone. Try to print a document or picture already on the iPhone.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you use the mobile (cellular) Internet service on the Phone to download a web page, and you want to print this, keep the page open, and then try to use AirPrint via the local Wi-Fi network. This is an experiment, so make a note of any error messages.

Good luck! Do not hesitate to post back in case of any questions. Please report your results.

Feb 6, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

The NetGear router had previously been connected so I found the connection, figured out the password, got printer linked then MacBook and iPhone. I’m still a bit fuzzy on using the setup but it worked. I so appreciate all your tips, links and caution on cellular service. I do have unlimited data but at a certain point it will slow considerably.

iPhone to HL-L2350DW Printer no WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.