Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod Mini and Apple TV 4k 1st Gen

Hi, can i use the homepod mini wih the Apple TV 4k 1st gen? The version i have on the Apple TV is 16.2 and it says that the device is up to date. I just read on the Apple website that in order to use the home cinema audio i need to have at least tvOS 16.3. Does that refer to the Dolby function only? Or i just cannot use my homepod mini as a speaker while i watch Apple TV?

Many thanks

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 9:27 AM

Hi,

This is the relevant support article: Set up home theater audio with HomePod or HomePod mini and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support. Perhaps the thing you read was referring to new eARC features that are only available on ATV 4Kv2.

tt2

5 replies

Feb 3, 2023 9:50 AM in response to Dpk94_ldn

Yes. Personally I found the default speaker option hindered my ability to use the HomePod just for music, but things might have changed since the last time I tried it. You can always select the HomePod as an AirPlay speaker when you're using the Apple TV. I don't think there is any functional difference in playback quality between default speaker and selected AirPlay speaker modes.

tt2

Homepod Mini and Apple TV 4k 1st Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.