Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur download

I've been trying for weeks to update my 2019 iMac to Big Sur. All I get from the App Store or System preferences-Update Software is "Finding Updates" or "Searching for Updates" with a nonstop "hourglass". Any thoughts on how I get past this and update my iMac? I need the new OS to run tax software.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 1:35 PM

2 replies

Feb 4, 2023 11:46 AM in response to b0y9ggz

See -> macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers

macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Please check:

Check the status of your network on Mac

Check the status of your network on Mac - Apple Support

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store, or other Apple services - Apple Support

-> If you tried all of the above steps and you still can’t connect, contact Apple Support.

Feb 5, 2023 1:57 AM in response to b0y9ggz

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software ( Not Disable ) may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

9 - Try Again ( while in Safe Mode ) using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences

macOS Big Sur download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.