Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home app using 20GB of storage

My Home app on my phone is using 20GB of storage, which is an abnormal amount. It is only displayed correctly like this in very rare occasions; most of the times it would show as System Data.

I’m suspecting that it is an issue with the HomeKit camera UI, generating large amounts of cache files. Sometimes this 20GB of data disappears from storage after a while of not using the camera UI, probably it is the cache being completely removed.

Is there a method to prevent this problem from reoccurring again? Reinstalling the app doesn’t fix this issue.

P.S. Am I the only person experiencing numerous bugs and glitches with the HomeKit camera UI? I am not seeing anybody discussing this.

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 4:35 AM

It is, as you rightly suggest, a cache problem. I have experienced this problem myself.

I found out 3 solutions:

1. Delete your Home and set up again. Not just the Home app, but the entire setup, and start from scratch. I did, and my Home app hasn't collected that much data so far. Depending on how many smart devices you have, it can be quick and easy or time-consuming and cumbersome.

2. Wait until your iPhone runs out of space. Hopefully, iOS will start cleaning up the huge amount of cache that the Home app has accumulated.

3. Restore iPhone to factory settings, without loading an iCloud Backup afterwards. It is drastic and should be the last resort if nothing else works.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 4:35 AM in response to fhg954

It is, as you rightly suggest, a cache problem. I have experienced this problem myself.

I found out 3 solutions:

1. Delete your Home and set up again. Not just the Home app, but the entire setup, and start from scratch. I did, and my Home app hasn't collected that much data so far. Depending on how many smart devices you have, it can be quick and easy or time-consuming and cumbersome.

2. Wait until your iPhone runs out of space. Hopefully, iOS will start cleaning up the huge amount of cache that the Home app has accumulated.

3. Restore iPhone to factory settings, without loading an iCloud Backup afterwards. It is drastic and should be the last resort if nothing else works.

Home app using 20GB of storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.