Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some contacts in Mail are greyed-out

Hello I'm using a Mac Studio running Ventura 13.1. I don't own or use an iPhone or use iCloud.

The contacts were imported from my old iMac by creating an .abbu file. This was imported into Address Book, where they all show up normally.

However...

When I compose an email, a lot of my contacts aren't available to use. They are visible, but greyed out. Even if I search for an email from one of these people and select "add to Contacts" they still remain greyed out.

What is going on?

Mac Studio, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:31 AM

Nope, no help. But thanks anyway.

I've tried everything so far but I literally cannot stop more than half of my contacts from being greyed out. I can see I'm going to have to abandon Mac Mail completely and go straight to the webmail server. It's absolutely pathetic for a brand new OS, quite unbelievable. The greying-out is apparently completely random, there are contacts available that I haven't emailed in ten years yet my regulars are unavailable. I'm pretty shocked tbh, this is an issue that apple need to sort out.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 7:31 AM in response to PRP_53

Nope, no help. But thanks anyway.

I've tried everything so far but I literally cannot stop more than half of my contacts from being greyed out. I can see I'm going to have to abandon Mac Mail completely and go straight to the webmail server. It's absolutely pathetic for a brand new OS, quite unbelievable. The greying-out is apparently completely random, there are contacts available that I haven't emailed in ten years yet my regulars are unavailable. I'm pretty shocked tbh, this is an issue that apple need to sort out.

Feb 5, 2023 7:30 AM in response to snailcruncher

Would suggest going into System Setting and you " User Account " >> iCloud >> Contacts.

The Turn OFF Contacts from syncing

Try to delete the offending from the Contacts Application.

If that should fail to produce the desired resuts

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

Try again

Feb 4, 2023 7:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes I will

Weird thing is - I just tried to delete one of the greyed-out contacts from the Contacts App, in order to replace it with a completely new one - and although I am offered the option to delete, Contacts refuses to delete it, and it remains. The greyed-out ones are totally locked.

The new one I created - literally identical to the greyed-out one - is, however, available to use in Mac Mail. Work that one out. What possible difference is there between the two?

Does this mean I have to manually add all the greyed-out ones again even though there is no legitimate reason for any of them to have become unavailable? And, having done so, I then have to look at a sea of duplicates because Contacts won't allow me to delete the greyed-out ones?

Feb 5, 2023 6:15 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. I think I am going to scrub every entry from Contacts and re-imports as vcards. Is it actually possible to empty Contacts of entries? Because it was preventing me from deleting the greyed-out ones.

I had a webchat with two different Apple support people about this yesterday, and the sum total of their expertise was to "switch it off and switch it back on again." Really. Unbelievable.

Feb 5, 2023 8:11 AM in response to PRP_53

P. Phillips, you have fixed it - thank you. I clicked the Contacts button within the iCloud dialogue that you have highlighted above, and switched it off. Then I closed and reopened Mail and had a look - the problem persisted. Then I clicked the Contacts button again, and switched it back on. This time I had a new dialogue box appear, which asked if I wished to merge my contacts with those on iCloud. Even though I don't use iCloud, I don't have an iPhone and I don't have any contacts stored there, I clicked "Yes."

Then I once again closed Mail, reopened it and all the contacts are once again available. What's more I am able to delete the ones in Contacts that were previously locked.

I didn't need to do any of the safe Mode stuff (thankfully) - in the end it was the simple matter of switching it off and back on again to force an iCloud merge (like I say, even though I have no contacts on iCloud).

I'll keep an eye on it, but I'm hopeful the issue has now gone for good.

P. Phillips have a virtual beer on me. I hope this thread helps others in a similar situation.

Some contacts in Mail are greyed-out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.