Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't install education bundle because mac is an old version

I bought the education bundle the other day mainly for logic pro, but logic pro says it is only compatible with version 12 or higher, I have a version 10.15 and there is no option to update to a new version in preferences, tried installing monterey but it said it couldn't install on my os. My macbook I bought second hand and I believe its from 2012 so it is a bit old.

Anyone know where I can go from here in being able to get the bundle apps installed on my older mac? Or if its possible to find a way to override my mac and get monterey on it, its currently catalina and that is the latest updated version available for download. Or if theres no solution do you think apple would accept a refund? I've heard it can be pretty difficult getting one once you've bought a product

Any ideas or solutions??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:58 AM

If you have a 2012 MacBook Pro the highest it can go is 10.15. This is something you cannot override, your hardware is not compatible with later versions of the MacOS.

If you purchased Logic Pro through the App Store, you may be able to download an older version of Logic Pro from the App Store when logged in to the same Apple ID used to purchase the software.

The App Store does indicate that Logic Pro requires 12.3 or later.

A 2012 Mac is basically obsolete. As you have found out, a lot of software no longer runs on it and Apple doesn't even stock parts for it anymore. If your budget does not have room for a new Mac, you can look into quality used Macs from OWC or from Apple. There are many other used Mac vendors out there but I would only buy a used Mac from the two I mention.

At this site Buy Pro Apps Bundle for Education - Education - Apple there is a "chat now" link and an 800 number you can call to explain your situation and see if they can help you with the older version you need, or a refund if there is no viable solution.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 10:58 AM in response to billsktn

If you have a 2012 MacBook Pro the highest it can go is 10.15. This is something you cannot override, your hardware is not compatible with later versions of the MacOS.

If you purchased Logic Pro through the App Store, you may be able to download an older version of Logic Pro from the App Store when logged in to the same Apple ID used to purchase the software.

The App Store does indicate that Logic Pro requires 12.3 or later.

A 2012 Mac is basically obsolete. As you have found out, a lot of software no longer runs on it and Apple doesn't even stock parts for it anymore. If your budget does not have room for a new Mac, you can look into quality used Macs from OWC or from Apple. There are many other used Mac vendors out there but I would only buy a used Mac from the two I mention.

At this site Buy Pro Apps Bundle for Education - Education - Apple there is a "chat now" link and an 800 number you can call to explain your situation and see if they can help you with the older version you need, or a refund if there is no viable solution.

can't install education bundle because mac is an old version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.