Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura OS causes eye strain

I just upgraded to Ventura on my Macbook Pro late 2021 M1 14", and immediately feel an eye strain - a sensation of an astigmatism - like they widened the lettering and it's pulling my eyes too wide to focus. I have never experienced any such thing from an update before. I am going to have to try and downgrade. WTF?

I think they have made the FONT SO SHARP and THIN against a screen that also seems worse (brighter/transparent?) that it is hard on the eyes. Dimming the screen does not help see it any better. I just switched two things to improve a problem newly created by Apple: 1) I changed it to NOT ALLOW wallpaper tinting (which effects transparency and although fine in prior OS's, now adds to the strain), and 2) to DARK MODE - a mode I have never used nor preferred (since owning Macbooks since 2007) but at least it is a bit better. I do not feel like downgrading at the moment because I had bad luck with a firmware update on my Canon R6 recently and worried something worse will happen.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 1:48 PM

You may also be at that turning point where an optometrist may recommend a "computer" prescription for close up work. This is what I have and I am sitting in front of a premium 32-in 4K display (Ventura 13.2) with quite small text and it is sharp without eyestrain.

There are adjustments you can make in Settings > Displays where you can experiment with the range of choices from larger text to more space.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2023 1:48 PM in response to lululola

You may also be at that turning point where an optometrist may recommend a "computer" prescription for close up work. This is what I have and I am sitting in front of a premium 32-in 4K display (Ventura 13.2) with quite small text and it is sharp without eyestrain.

There are adjustments you can make in Settings > Displays where you can experiment with the range of choices from larger text to more space.

Ventura OS causes eye strain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.