Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find Disk Utility on my old I Mac with Big Sur. I want to reformat the disk

I need to reformat disk on old computer, not this one. I can't find disk utility on it.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 8:24 AM

8 replies

Feb 5, 2023 9:05 AM in response to paulinefromjacksonville

Follow the steps at > Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase your Mac

1) Start up from macOS Recovery: Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. 

2) If asked, select a user you know the password for, then enter their administrator password. 

3) From the utilities window, select Disk Utility and click Continue.

4) Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don't see Macintosh HD?

5) Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:

• Name: Macintosh HD
  • Format: APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as recommended by Disk Utility

6) Click Erase Volume Group. If this button isn't shown, click Erase instead.

7) If asked, enter your Apple ID. Forgot your Apple ID?

8) Optional: If you previously used Disk Utility to add internal volumes other than Macintosh HD, you can erase them individually using the same process. 

9) When done, quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.

10) If you want your Mac to start up again from the volume you just you erased, select Reinstall macOS in the utilities window, then click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions. Learn more about reinstalling macOS.

Feb 5, 2023 1:32 PM in response to paulinefromjacksonville

You cannot erase the internal HD if you are already booted on it. Please follow the steps in What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac. To erase the internal HD you will need to reboot in the Recovery Partition by holding down Command + R on startup and open Disk Utility there. That is where you can erase the internal drive.

How do I find Disk Utility on my old I Mac with Big Sur. I want to reformat the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.