Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Time Machine backup external HDD be used for other files apart from Time Machine backup?

I noticed that my Time Machine backup is becoming smaller as more backups are added. So I bought a new 14 Tb Seagate expansion drive to use as the new Time Machine backup when the current drive is full.

Is there any technical reason why I cannot, or should not, use this new drive for Time Machine backup and other backup files?

Thanks folks

iMac 27″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 10:27 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 5, 2023 11:36 AM in response to Frankfiz

Nope' in fact you can have 2 Time Machine backup drives at the same time and should start using the new external drive ASAP.

Notice that mine are named Time Machine and Time Machine 2

Another option is to use Time Machine on one external drive and do a Clone on the other drive using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

In addition to 2 Time Machine backups, I have multiple Clones using CarbonCopyCloner.

Can Time Machine backup external HDD be used for other files apart from Time Machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.