Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security settings can be changed even though lock is on

HI! I have MacOS monterey and found out that I am able to change anything inside the security and privacy settings despite the lock being on , anything I can do to fix that ?Would relaly appreciate your help tlx!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 7:48 PM

louler Said:

"security settings can be changed even though lock is on: HI! I have MacOS monterey and found out that I am able to change anything inside the security and privacy settings despite the lock being on , anything I can do to fix that ?Would relaly appreciate your help tlx!"

-------

Troubleshooting Security & Privacy Inaccessibility:

A. Start with a Restart:

Sometimes, changes are made to the system settings, and then you need to restart your Mac to get if fully operable again. Go here: Shut Down or Restart your Mac - Apple Support

B. Disable Screen Time:

Is Screen Time in use? If so, you are unable to access this info. So, ask the person who locked this to disable Screen Time. They would hav the password. Learn More Here: Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

C. Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

E. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 7:48 PM in response to louler

louler Said:

"security settings can be changed even though lock is on: HI! I have MacOS monterey and found out that I am able to change anything inside the security and privacy settings despite the lock being on , anything I can do to fix that ?Would relaly appreciate your help tlx!"

-------

Troubleshooting Security & Privacy Inaccessibility:

A. Start with a Restart:

Sometimes, changes are made to the system settings, and then you need to restart your Mac to get if fully operable again. Go here: Shut Down or Restart your Mac - Apple Support

B. Disable Screen Time:

Is Screen Time in use? If so, you are unable to access this info. So, ask the person who locked this to disable Screen Time. They would hav the password. Learn More Here: Use Screen Time on your Mac - Apple Support

C. Scan your Mac for Malware: 

Use MalwareBytes for Mac --- This is software that searches for malware/adware. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

D. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

E. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

security settings can be changed even though lock is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.