Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch LEDs and electrode over brown skin spots

It happens that just under my Apple Watch 8 I have a harmless brown skin spot. Wondering if the LEDs and the electrode could have any side effect since its a constant exposure.

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 9:31 PM

Hello Bean2040!

Quote from "Wearing your apple watch" support document;

A great deal of care and research goes into choosing materials for all of our devices. In addition to ensuring that all materials adhere to existing regulations, we developed our own specification for Apple Watch that goes beyond those requirements.In fact, every material that touches your skin has gone through extensive evaluation in accordance with our specification. This includes:

Thousands of material composition test

More than a thousand prototypes worn for trial studies

Thousands of toxicological assessments

Consultations with board-certified dermatologists

A small number of people will experience reactions to certain materials. This can be due to allergies, environmental factors, extended exposure to irritants like soap or sweat, and other causes.

We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device. We recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 9:31 PM in response to Bean2040

Hello Bean2040!

Quote from "Wearing your apple watch" support document;

A great deal of care and research goes into choosing materials for all of our devices. In addition to ensuring that all materials adhere to existing regulations, we developed our own specification for Apple Watch that goes beyond those requirements.In fact, every material that touches your skin has gone through extensive evaluation in accordance with our specification. This includes:

Thousands of material composition test

More than a thousand prototypes worn for trial studies

Thousands of toxicological assessments

Consultations with board-certified dermatologists

A small number of people will experience reactions to certain materials. This can be due to allergies, environmental factors, extended exposure to irritants like soap or sweat, and other causes.

We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device. We recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!

Feb 6, 2023 5:53 AM in response to Bean2040

After some more research, I found that people who have had this happen to them were being told to stop wearing the watches, and to go see an allergist, doctor, dermatologist, etc. I will link questions were the OP has specifically mentioned LED’s, and you will hopefully find answers in the replies:

Iphone LED cause Burnt skin - Apple Community

Apple watch light causing burns on wrist - Apple Community

How to clean your Apple Watch – Apple Support (UK)

I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue!

Feb 6, 2023 6:33 AM in response to Bean2040

Apple Support reply:

”””

I was checking on my tools and There is no mention of any dangers from the Green Led's on apple watch in those cases. However, of course that If you experience redness, swelling, itchiness or any other irritation or discomfort on your skin around or beneath your watch, Apple recommends that you remove your watch and consult a doctor / physician before wearing it again.

Also, to avoid it it's important to know that Irritants can make skin reactions more likely if found between the watch and/or band and your skin. Keeping your watch, band and skin clean and dry can maximise comfort and prevent long-term damage to the watch. It is especially important to do this after workouts or exposure to liquids that can cause skin irritation.

”””

Apple Watch LEDs and electrode over brown skin spots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.