Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scroll digital crown to access app view?

Is it possible to make digital crown scroll open the app view when on the watch face? Or would others find that a useful feature?

I just got my first Apple Watch, and I cannot believe the scroll does virtually nothing on the watch face screen. Scrolling the crown is the easiest input to use, and the only one other than tap that works well with a single finger. I know scroll will zoom on some watch faces (which frankly I find not useful at all) but I use the modular face which has no zoom action.

Currently, at the watch face, I need to press the crown, scroll to navigate the app list, then tap the one I want. I would like to just scroll to bring up the apps and tap. Or, better yet, the scroll action could be customizable when on the watch face screen - scroll up to open apps, scroll down to open the dock, for example. I think the scroll is incredibly underutilized and one of my only frustrations with this watch.

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 7:45 AM

You are supposed to press the digital crown to see your apps, then scroll the digital crown to navigate them. This is by design and as Apple chose to design it.

To me, the way Apple designed it makes perfect sense and avoids bringing up the app switcher unintentionally, But if you'd like to provide a feature suggestion to Apple about this behavior, you can leave them feedback here --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 7:45 AM in response to Jt529

You are supposed to press the digital crown to see your apps, then scroll the digital crown to navigate them. This is by design and as Apple chose to design it.

To me, the way Apple designed it makes perfect sense and avoids bringing up the app switcher unintentionally, But if you'd like to provide a feature suggestion to Apple about this behavior, you can leave them feedback here --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

Feb 6, 2023 8:40 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for the link - submitted! Personally, I would just like the option for more flexibility. My issue with the current method is that I need to use two fingers to press the crown effectively, and then reorient my hand to scroll and tap the screen. I think it would be more streamlined with a quick one finger scroll to bring up the app selection followed by a tap. I have not had any issues with accidental scrolling, but even requiring a full 360 rotation would be less burdensome to me than pressing the crown.

As an alternative, swiping left on the watch face could bring up the app library the same way it does on the iPhone.

Feb 6, 2023 8:46 AM in response to Jt529

I'm glad you provided feedback via the link. No one here can change anything on Apple Watch. I also wouldn't want the swipe left option. That's how Apple chose to implement changing watch faces on Apple Watch. It would make things confusing as swiping left or right has always permitted the easy change of watch faces and millions upon millions of users are used to doing just that.

Scroll digital crown to access app view?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.