Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant update my apple watch?

I cant update my apple watch SE. It tells me I need to update my phone too, but its updated. What can I do?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 1:55 PM

If you have a first generation iPhone SE, the highest it can update to is iOS 15.7.x. It cannot be updated to iOS 16. And if you want your watch to update to WatchOS 9, you won't be able to do so, as you must own an iPhone which can run iOS 16, which a first generation Apple Watch SE is not capable of.

On your iPhone open the Settings App. Tap General > About > Model and Version and report back. It will be a while before I can reply as I'm leaving work and won't be back online for a while.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 1:55 PM in response to mrivas24

If you have a first generation iPhone SE, the highest it can update to is iOS 15.7.x. It cannot be updated to iOS 16. And if you want your watch to update to WatchOS 9, you won't be able to do so, as you must own an iPhone which can run iOS 16, which a first generation Apple Watch SE is not capable of.

On your iPhone open the Settings App. Tap General > About > Model and Version and report back. It will be a while before I can reply as I'm leaving work and won't be back online for a while.

Feb 6, 2023 1:33 PM in response to mrivas24

What do you want to update your WatchOS to? And what exact model iPhone do you own?

Your tag line says you own Apple Watch SE on WatchOS 8. If you want to update to WatchOS 9 (current version is WatchOS 9.3), it requires an iPhone which is updated to iOS 16 (current is iOS 16.3). That means you need to own an iPhone 8 or newer or an iPhone SE 2 or newer.

I cant update my apple watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.