Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing the length of a song?

I purchased a iTunes song. The song itself is approx. 4 minutes long, however when I play it, it is 8 minutes long. there is silence for a while, then it goes into another song. I've tried deleting it and downloading it again, but it doesn't make any difference. I've tried changing the end time from 8 minutes to 4 minutes but it doesn't seem to save it.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 3:25 AM

It sounds to me as though the artist has intentionally done this. The second song is known as a hidden track.

I have at least two songs like this:

• You Oughta Know (alternate take) on Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill album:
      • track length runs for 8 mins 11 secs
      • first song (listed on the album) is 4 mins 11 secs
      • then there's a 1 minute gap followed by...
      • unlisted (hidden) track (Forgive Me Love) at 3 mins long
    • Sakou Kham on Suuf's Debbo Hande album:
      • track length runs for 11 mins 52 secs
      • the first song (listed on the album) is just 5 mins 33 secs long
      • then there's a 2 minutes 2 second gap, followed by...
      • unlisted (hidden) track (Gido - alternative version) is 4 mins 17 secs long

You have two choices:

1. accept things the way they are
    2. create a second copy of the song, then edit the start and stop times (in Tunes)

The procedure for making a second copy of a song and then splitting it involves a bit of time that you may not wish to waste. Ask if you want more information.

If you wish to stop the first song and not hear the second one (the hidden track), you should be able to do this by:

1. selecting the song
  2. click on iTunes' top bar menu, Edit/Song Info/Options
  3. identify the start and the stop fields on the Options tab
  4. leave the start time as 0:00
  5. change the stop time to the time that the first song ends
  6. click on OK. When you play the song in iTunes now, it should stop at the time you chose. If it doesn't, but you have completed the steps above correctly, that suggest that the "permissions" are set to Read Only. Ask for further advice. (Do not simply try to fast forward to beyond the end of the song, it will not produce the result you want)

This change will also be applied to any copy subsequently put onto an iPhone, iPod etc, via your iTunes Library. However, note that the change is not saved to the song's file, so if you use the file in any other application (music player), the track will play for the full time, complete with gap.

I also do not know for certain what will happen if Apple replace iTunes as they have done with Mac computers. I suspect the change will be lost.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 3:25 AM in response to R1020

It sounds to me as though the artist has intentionally done this. The second song is known as a hidden track.

I have at least two songs like this:

• You Oughta Know (alternate take) on Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill album:
      • track length runs for 8 mins 11 secs
      • first song (listed on the album) is 4 mins 11 secs
      • then there's a 1 minute gap followed by...
      • unlisted (hidden) track (Forgive Me Love) at 3 mins long
    • Sakou Kham on Suuf's Debbo Hande album:
      • track length runs for 11 mins 52 secs
      • the first song (listed on the album) is just 5 mins 33 secs long
      • then there's a 2 minutes 2 second gap, followed by...
      • unlisted (hidden) track (Gido - alternative version) is 4 mins 17 secs long

You have two choices:

1. accept things the way they are
    2. create a second copy of the song, then edit the start and stop times (in Tunes)

The procedure for making a second copy of a song and then splitting it involves a bit of time that you may not wish to waste. Ask if you want more information.

If you wish to stop the first song and not hear the second one (the hidden track), you should be able to do this by:

1. selecting the song
  2. click on iTunes' top bar menu, Edit/Song Info/Options
  3. identify the start and the stop fields on the Options tab
  4. leave the start time as 0:00
  5. change the stop time to the time that the first song ends
  6. click on OK. When you play the song in iTunes now, it should stop at the time you chose. If it doesn't, but you have completed the steps above correctly, that suggest that the "permissions" are set to Read Only. Ask for further advice. (Do not simply try to fast forward to beyond the end of the song, it will not produce the result you want)

This change will also be applied to any copy subsequently put onto an iPhone, iPod etc, via your iTunes Library. However, note that the change is not saved to the song's file, so if you use the file in any other application (music player), the track will play for the full time, complete with gap.

I also do not know for certain what will happen if Apple replace iTunes as they have done with Mac computers. I suspect the change will be lost.

Editing the length of a song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.