Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete photos off my iPhone but have them stay in iCloud?

I don’t understand how iCloud works. Can I delete my photos on my iPhone but keep them in iCloud??

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 4:22 PM

Sally360 wrote:

I don’t understand how iCloud works. Can I delete my photos on my iPhone but keep them in iCloud??

No. if you sync to icloud what you do on one device reflects on the other read here Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

if you back up to icloud it only backs up the data on your device What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

You would need to download google photos or something similar. Then you can safely delete photos off your phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Sally360

Sally360 wrote:

No. if you sync to icloud what you do on one device reflects on the other read here Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

if you back up to icloud it only backs up the data on your device What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

You would need to download google photos or something similar. Then you can safely delete photos off your phone.

How can I delete photos off my iPhone but have them stay in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.