Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get this error every time I open the app on macOS: The Apple TV Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-54).

This has been going on for months and I cancelled my subscription because I got so fed up with it but now I need the app to add videos from macOS to tvOS.

Every time I open the app I get: The Apple TV Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-54).

I have tried every logical thing: reset the library in the tv app settings, checked the permissions in the home folder, made sure date & time were set correct etc.

Because of it, every time I add a video it's gone the next day and I have to reshare it all over again.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 2:31 AM

Possibly the library database file is in a folder that doesn’t have write permissions, or the file itself has unintended permissions.

Try locating it and verify the permissions, or try creating a new library. Also verify the parent folders.

Was the library transferred from a previous/another Mac? That could be a cause for permissions issues under some circumstances, when copied differently than intended.

Note that the TV library database file and the TV app Media folder are two independent properties that can be in different locations.

Quit and re-launch up the TV app with the Option ⌥ (Alt) key held down. That will present a dialog box for choosing a (different) library, or to create a new library. The location navigation for each will show where the current library database file is (for me it is in ~/Movies/, where a ‘TV’ folder holds the data for the current library database.)

Use multiple libraries in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support

Most users won’t need multiple libraries, but creating a new library doesn’t automatically delete the previous, so it is good to know how it works.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 2:31 AM in response to thalstris

Possibly the library database file is in a folder that doesn’t have write permissions, or the file itself has unintended permissions.

Try locating it and verify the permissions, or try creating a new library. Also verify the parent folders.

Was the library transferred from a previous/another Mac? That could be a cause for permissions issues under some circumstances, when copied differently than intended.

Note that the TV library database file and the TV app Media folder are two independent properties that can be in different locations.

Quit and re-launch up the TV app with the Option ⌥ (Alt) key held down. That will present a dialog box for choosing a (different) library, or to create a new library. The location navigation for each will show where the current library database file is (for me it is in ~/Movies/, where a ‘TV’ folder holds the data for the current library database.)

Use multiple libraries in the Apple TV app on Mac - Apple Support

Most users won’t need multiple libraries, but creating a new library doesn’t automatically delete the previous, so it is good to know how it works.

I get this error every time I open the app on macOS: The Apple TV Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-54).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.