Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent kernel panics on M1 MACBOOK PRO - what does this crash log mean?

Just purchased a refurb from Apple 16" maxed out M1 MBP. Migrated from 16" 2019 Intel MBP w/ Migration Assistant. Kernel panics multiple times a day. Erased the M1, fresh install of Monterey, manually installed all apps (left a lot that I wasn't using behind) and moved over some data like Lightroom catalog and my Documents folder. Otherwise, everything else was from the new base install. Still having daily Kernel panic issues, sometimes multiple times a day the computer "restarts because of a problem". Do the details below mean anything to someone who knows more about this than I do that might identify what is causing this problem?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 4:08 AM

12 replies

Feb 7, 2023 4:48 AM in response to livin1965

Usually, Kernel Panic are caused by a Hardware Failure or Third Party Kernel Extension installed and used on this computer .

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

If yes to above in # 3 above, it maybe a tip off of some Hardware Issue

Feb 7, 2023 6:18 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. I will try the safe mode option you outline. It would really help if someone that knows what these crash logs means might also weigh in. I have another log after another crash I've attached below the description of an issue that I observed to cause a crash this morning...

I observed something this morning and wonder if it's helping clarify the problem. The same issue below happened even before I did the complete erase of hard drive, reinstall of Monterey and then manual install of all software (ie; not dragging over any old files from previous computer and all new fresh pref and associated files)...

I wake the computer by opening the lid and turn on wifi (usually I have it off because I work from a home office with ethernet). But, it remains greyed out in the menu bar with a line through it even though the toggle switch is in the ON position. About a minute after waiting for something to happen, I opened the Network preferences and see that Wifi is still OFF. I click the button in the preference window to turn wifi ON. Then the computer freezes and restarts itself. I get the "restarted because of a problem" window after restart.

Again, this issue happened both after moving to the M1 through migration assistant and now I observe happening after doing a clean install of the OS and all my applications. Doesn't mean an app isn't part of the problem. But, is this suggestive of the wifi causing a hardware issue? Below is the most recent crash log.

Feb 7, 2023 7:08 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks. Attached screenshot is what I see. One thing that was unexpected is that all my previous networks that were on my old computer are listed even though I haven't joined any of them on this computer. I'm wondering if those were stored my Keychain which I synced over with iCloud? I would not have expected that. Again, this was a clean install and then I just installed applications without migrating or "restoring" anything other than turning on iCloud to sync contacts, photos, calendar, etc. Wondering if there is something in the Keychain or files that somehow got brought over to this computer through iCloud? I'm confused about why all these networks are on this computer when I haven't joined or added them so just wondering...

Feb 7, 2023 7:52 AM in response to PRP_53

Very interesting. I will look at the M1 Air that we have and my Intel 16" and see if they both appear as yours does.

While in safe mode with the system profiler open and shortly after posting the message I sent with the screenshot, the computer rebooted again due to kernel panic. This sounds more like hardware correct?

Feb 7, 2023 8:20 AM in response to PRP_53

Honestly, I will probably return this computer. It's a refurbished from Apple and I have only had it one week so within return window. I am not excited to keep a computer that has such a major problem right out of the box. Sorry that will leave the mystery unsolved, but leave me feeling better about it in the long run. I appreciate your help.

Feb 8, 2023 6:23 AM in response to PRP_53

Well, the mystery continues... while our other Intel based Macs have information next to the "WiFi" in the System Profile screen, our M1 MacBook Air does not. It appears just as the M1 MacBook Pro without any letters or numbers and just the word "WiFi". We've had it for over a year and it's been problem free. So, clearly the lack of having something there isn't a clear indicator of an active problem, at least not one that is manifesting in kernel panics. So, I'm not sure what to think at this point. I'm going to return the computer and bought a replacement given it's brand new to me. I will use Migration Assistant to move from current to new M1 MacBook Air and if the problem persists then it will be more clear it's a software issue.

I'm wondering about how to remove all Wifi and Network related files, maybe something left in the Keychain that I sync'd with iCloud? Given this is a clean Monterey install and I didn't migrate system or user files from a previous computer, it shouldn't be a preference file issue. But, what about the Keychain since all my old Wifi networks appeared on this M1 even though I hadn't seen or connected to almost any of them, ie; they were networks from previous computer...? Thoughts?

Frequent kernel panics on M1 MACBOOK PRO - what does this crash log mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.