Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Import Video from Sony DSC-HX200V camera into Photos with Ventura

I just bought a new iMac 24 with Ventura installed. I cannot import videos into Photos from the camera. Photos import OK, just not videos. I tried changing the video settings on the camera (AVC) and no change.

One way around it was to use my old High Sierra iMac, import the videos into Photos on there and then export the video to a USB stick, then import on new Ventura iMac. A bit time-consuming, but it works. I would prefer to just have the videos import into Photos on my new iMac 24.

Is there a setting, perhaps on the camera, that I should be looking for and changing it? Is there something else going on? I saw something somewhere about a codec? What would need to be done to amend or perhaps update the codec. This is unfamiliar territory to me. The camera is about eight years or so old.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 11:54 PM

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera, such as mpeg 4, which that camera also shoots. The file sizes will more efficient too.

Also, unfortunately, there is very little standardisation across video formats, especially in the home user market. Put it this way: your AVC will not be the same as one shot on a Panasonic or other brand. In fact, it might not even be the same as the same format shot on another Sony. In that this material was possible for you to import before I would, literally, put that down to good fortune and no more.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 11:54 PM in response to LynnQ

A note on AVCHD: This format was developed for people who are shooting to edit the material afterwards. If you're shooting to edit, then iMovie or Final Cut are the correct home for this material. If you're not shooting to edit consider using one of the other video formats on your Camera, such as mpeg 4, which that camera also shoots. The file sizes will more efficient too.

Also, unfortunately, there is very little standardisation across video formats, especially in the home user market. Put it this way: your AVC will not be the same as one shot on a Panasonic or other brand. In fact, it might not even be the same as the same format shot on another Sony. In that this material was possible for you to import before I would, literally, put that down to good fortune and no more.

Feb 8, 2023 8:08 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Hi there, Yes, I can use Import Media to import the AVC file into iMovie.

I am not able to import the movies into Photos. I see three disk names when I attach the USB cable to my camera. Two disk files are called No Name, one of which has the photos stored in a subfolder. On that same No Name is another folder called Private which has a file called AVCHD and is described as AVCHD Collection (there are a few small movies in there).

I can import the movies with no problem into my 11-year-old High Sierra computer.

Is there a way to copy or somehow export the movies from iMovie and over to Photos in Ventura?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2023 4:45 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you so much! After spending a while going through camera settings I found the one for MP4 and tried shooting a video with that. Worked fine and now imports into Photos both in Ventura and on the old High Sierra iMac. I had been unaware of the MP4 option until you pointed it out and then found it and changed it over. Also can import into iMovie if needed as well.

I have learned something new and useful today. Always a good thing! Thanks again for your assistance.

Cannot Import Video from Sony DSC-HX200V camera into Photos with Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.