Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Switch Audio Output during playback

If I'm listening to any kind of music or watching a video on my iPhone, how can I CHANGE the audio output device during playback? For example, I'm listening via the phone's internal speaker while my coworkers are at lunch (usually on Amazon Music or SiriusXM apps). When they return, I want to seamlessly switch the audio back to my BT headset.

I've googled and it keeps telling me to open the Control Center (swipe down from top right) and long press the "Audio Card". There is no such card on my device and it is not something that is available under "More Controls" in the Control Center settings. How can I simply change between outputs (or even between different BT devices) while listening?

iPhone 11

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 5:52 PM

Hi domtrump,

We recommend that you try the steps in the link below to learn how to switch the audio output on your iPhone.

Use AirPlay to stream audio

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the "Stream audio from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch section."

Play music on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then control where it's playing from Control Center:
1) Open Control Center on your iPhone or iPod touch, or on your iPad:
*On iPhone X or later or iPad with iPadOS or later, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
*On iPhone 8 or earlier or iOS 11 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
2) Touch and hold the group of controls in the upper-right corner, then tap AirPlay .
3) Tap each speaker or TV that you want to play the current audio to. 

You can also use AirPlay to stream audio from an app you're using on your device. Just open the app, tap AirPlay , then tap a speaker or tap multiple speakers.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to switch your audio output across multiple devices.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 5:52 PM in response to domtrump

Hi domtrump,

We recommend that you try the steps in the link below to learn how to switch the audio output on your iPhone.

Use AirPlay to stream audio

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the "Stream audio from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch section."

Play music on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then control where it's playing from Control Center:
1) Open Control Center on your iPhone or iPod touch, or on your iPad:
*On iPhone X or later or iPad with iPadOS or later, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.
*On iPhone 8 or earlier or iOS 11 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen.
2) Touch and hold the group of controls in the upper-right corner, then tap AirPlay .
3) Tap each speaker or TV that you want to play the current audio to. 

You can also use AirPlay to stream audio from an app you're using on your device. Just open the app, tap AirPlay , then tap a speaker or tap multiple speakers.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to switch your audio output across multiple devices.

Please let us know the outcome after giving the above steps a try.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

iPhone 11 Switch Audio Output during playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.