Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPad 2021 with 20w usb c, Battery Icon stays green at 100% won’t stop charging

when I charge my old iPad Air with a 12w charger, the charger stops charging when the battery reaches 100% and the battery icon goes from green to white. On my new iPad 2021, with 20w charger and usb c, the battery icon on the iPad remains green and the charger is still charging even though the battery icon says 100%. Is it normal? it does not stop charging and the battery icon does not turn white even though the iPad is charged to 100%.

iPad, 16

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 4:44 PM

The battery indicator will remain green while an adequate source of external power remains connected to the iPad. This is entirely normal behaviour.

Your iPad will automatically regulate and optimise charging - and will not overcharge the battery.

When used in kiosk applications - where external power is connected for extended periods of time - the iPad may modify its charging strategy and limit battery charge to ~80% of maximum. This modified charging strategy is designed to reduce chemical ageing that might otherwise occur if 100% charge is maintained at all times.

Nominal 100% charging will be restored when a normal charge/discharge routine is restored.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2023 4:44 PM in response to Year68

The battery indicator will remain green while an adequate source of external power remains connected to the iPad. This is entirely normal behaviour.

Your iPad will automatically regulate and optimise charging - and will not overcharge the battery.

When used in kiosk applications - where external power is connected for extended periods of time - the iPad may modify its charging strategy and limit battery charge to ~80% of maximum. This modified charging strategy is designed to reduce chemical ageing that might otherwise occur if 100% charge is maintained at all times.

Nominal 100% charging will be restored when a normal charge/discharge routine is restored.

Charging iPad 2021 with 20w usb c, Battery Icon stays green at 100% won’t stop charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.