Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing - The Operation can’t be completed because the original item for “XX” can’t be found

I have three Mac computers on the same Home network (Mac Studio, Mac mini 2018, MacBook Pro 2013). all updated to latest version of 13.2, except MacBook Pro which is Big Sur 11.7

All Mac have individual external hard drive attached and have been sharing in the same network, however, after the update of 13.2, I started to have problem with the EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE sharing.

I can see the external hard drive icon on Network Finder, however, when I click the folder, the page just shows “LOADING”, I have waited for more than half hour and it is still loading, occasionally a widow pops up with the message of  “The Operation can’t be completed because the original item for “XX” can’t be found”

I relaunch the Finder, however, the Finder would not show up again. 

I have to restart the computer.

I have reformatted the hard drive, turn off and on File Sharing, all do not fix the issue.

Interesting, I attached the said hard drive with my MacBook Pro (Big Sur) then it can open without any problem.

Last but not least, this only applies to external hard drive, the internal one does not have an issue.

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2023 7:09 PM

Ok, I finally solved the issue (it is due to a bug of 13.2), what I need is to remove The custom icon on my shared hard drive.

Removing the custom Hard Drive icon fixed the connect issue

Similar questions

1 reply

Home Sharing - The Operation can’t be completed because the original item for “XX” can’t be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.