Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who else can't restart their iPads following the IOS update to 16.3?

I updated both my iPads to IOS 16.3. My 6th Gen required me to hold down the home button and the power button to restart, but it took several times. My 4th Gen iPad Pro restarted fine after the update. But now that I have had it turned off (powered off), it won't start now. It showed the Apple logo once but now I have a partial circle of dots and I don't have a home button to press in conjunction with the power button such as I have on my regular iPad. I have tried holding down the volume buttons with the power button to see if that would work. Nothing works. I just got that partial circle of white dots with no motion. I am unable to get it to boot or reboot. I could lose my art on it and this would be a huge loss to me, plus the use of my iPad Pro! As it is, I had trouble turning on my regular iPad and would not have succeeded had it not been for the home button.

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 7:05 AM

If your iPad is unresponsive, connect your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge undisturbed for at least an hour - or possibly overnight. Then, while still connected to external power, try a forced-restart:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you will need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 7:05 AM in response to enclosedgarden

If your iPad is unresponsive, connect your iPad to its Power Adapter and allow the iPad to charge undisturbed for at least an hour - or possibly overnight. Then, while still connected to external power, try a forced-restart:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If iPad still doesn’t turn on, or if it gets stuck during start up, see the Apple Support article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t turn on or is frozen. Or if your iPad isn’t working correctly after you restart it, see the iPad Support website.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you will need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Feb 8, 2023 9:50 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you!I finally figured it out though it didn’t work immediately! Thank God! I finally found those instructions on the Apple Support app which I downloaded on my regular iPad which I had to start with the power and home button pressed through a couple cycles to finally get that one to work. I’m glad to have saved myself a trip to the Apple Store but what a mess! These last two updates have screwed up the way some important apps run, especially with using the pencil. It’s like it poses a memory issue and the apps don’t respond well. It makes a lot of work for the app developers to solve. Not cool at all!

Who else can't restart their iPads following the IOS update to 16.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.