Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which SIM card should I use on my new iPhone?

Hi, i bought a new phone the 14 plus, and it came with a sim card. My mum is saying that my old number will contain the data that i bought with the new phone? Will i need to use the new sim card to use the data i bought or has it transferred to my old one? Please help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 9:59 AM

Your Mum is probably more correct. But it really depends on HOW you purchased your new phone and from whom.

Your current SIM will contain all of your current account provisioning data. The one with your new phone is likely “blank.”

However, your 14 contains 5G hardware which may not have been available on your old phone; meaning a call to your carrier is going to be required either way.

There is a possibility that your carrier will want you to use your new SIM.

You might also find this guide helpful: Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Lastly, if your carrrier offers eSIM … go for it. It’s MUCH more secure.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 9:59 AM in response to esther_kazembe2002

Your Mum is probably more correct. But it really depends on HOW you purchased your new phone and from whom.

Your current SIM will contain all of your current account provisioning data. The one with your new phone is likely “blank.”

However, your 14 contains 5G hardware which may not have been available on your old phone; meaning a call to your carrier is going to be required either way.

There is a possibility that your carrier will want you to use your new SIM.

You might also find this guide helpful: Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Lastly, if your carrrier offers eSIM … go for it. It’s MUCH more secure.

Which SIM card should I use on my new iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.