Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why iPhone 14 Pro Max Camera Quality is so bad?

I mean all this post image processing is just running all the quality making photos either washed out or too sharp. I think apple needs to address this in their next iOS update. My 13 pro max used to take better photos than this. It’s just so frustrating

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 3:33 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. You can give Apple feedback on this page: Product Feedback - Apple. There is a sort of work around for this, but it takes up more space on your phone. You can turn on RAW photos to take much more detailed photos that also have less post processing done on them. For steps on how to do this, follow this Apple Support resource: About Apple ProRAW - Apple Support

I hope you found this helpful!

-Dallen

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2023 3:33 PM in response to khubaib245

I'm sorry to hear this. You can give Apple feedback on this page: Product Feedback - Apple. There is a sort of work around for this, but it takes up more space on your phone. You can turn on RAW photos to take much more detailed photos that also have less post processing done on them. For steps on how to do this, follow this Apple Support resource: About Apple ProRAW - Apple Support

I hope you found this helpful!

-Dallen

Mar 29, 2023 3:03 PM in response to Arotkovs

I am also extremely disappointed with the camera quality.

I switched over from a Galaxy S20+ thinking the camera on the 14PM is superior, not only is it inferior and poorly thought-out, but the camera's operational functionality is incoherent at best, and there is so little official instructional information. For example, you can turn the background to all-white or all-black, but then what? What do you with that if you are not shooting product photos? Also, there is only limited aperture-control with no shutter-control; if you have aperture-priority than you should have shutter-priority too. Makes no sense to have one but not the other.

Further, the video mode is entirely useless for night time filming, in say a restaurant dinner party, the screen is completely black! I can only film in Cinematic mode but in the mode, I cannot capture still frames while filming.

I did a side-by-side comparison of both cameras, the 14PM and the S20+, in the OEM default mode and the 14PM photo quality was very-very shockingly bad both day time and at night. When in video mode, forget it, the 14PM has a black screen.

I just updated to 16.4 from 16.3.1, I was disappointed that it did not correct the camera issues. Please EXPEDITE THIS FIX IMMDIATELY. We need, at the basic minimum, the following:

1. manual HDR on/off in Photo. Right now, I have to be in the Video mode to get HDR and then Tap-for-Stills to get an HDR shot. Even then, when the stills are created, they are way-faded compared the brilliance of the video; then I have to erase the short video and this is FOR DAY TIME ONLY. At night, I cannot use the video mode and the default quality is poor.
  2. we need shutter-control AND shutter-priority
  3. we need aperture-control AND aperture-priority
  4. we need full screen mode beyond 16:9. You already have "View Outside the Frame" and "Lens Correction" available, why not make full screen available too?
  5. in Portrait mode, there should be an option to change the color of the background, this is so that we can get a subject in the foreground in color on a B&W background. Your competition has this feature with adjustable background intensity to boot!
  6. make Tap-for-Stills available in Cinematic video mode.

Please issue an update to fix the above soon. I know this sound like I'm trying turn the 14PM into a SLR camera but you are Apple, and this is the 14 PRO MAX, as you branded it. Make it like a Professional Maximum as you advertise so.

With great respects.

Mar 29, 2023 3:12 PM in response to fpf256

Agree with u the camera isn’t good.. I sadly prefer the oldest galaxy 10 plus I had before… the camera is just better… and all the things u mention above… are minimum requirements that exist in many phones camera… dunno why apple not address that to..

I just think this iPhone 14 pro max… is not secsses phone… and Mybe the next 15 will fix those issues…. But as this was my first phone from apple… I will not upgrade … and will return to the known and good galaxy phone..

Why iPhone 14 Pro Max Camera Quality is so bad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.