Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating new Mac photo library

My Mac photo library is corrupted and can’t be repaired. If I create a new system photo library can I simply download all my pics from iCloud. I’m very worried that I might corrupt my iCloud library.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 8, 2023 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 7:52 AM

Backup the old library. Even corrupted, the library can be mined for old pictures-- just in case.

iCloud is pretty good about not letting suspicious files through its pipeline, so you should be OK. Just option-click on Photos and create a new Library. In In Preferences (or Settings) make this your System Library and turn on iCloud. It will start to populate your new library with pictures from iCloud. It may take weeks to finish, depending on the size of your library.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 7:52 AM in response to hytheman

Backup the old library. Even corrupted, the library can be mined for old pictures-- just in case.

iCloud is pretty good about not letting suspicious files through its pipeline, so you should be OK. Just option-click on Photos and create a new Library. In In Preferences (or Settings) make this your System Library and turn on iCloud. It will start to populate your new library with pictures from iCloud. It may take weeks to finish, depending on the size of your library.

Creating new Mac photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.