Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

any program or converter to reformat .mkv files to MP4 so that I can watch it on my mac OS 10.15.7

looking for a program or converter to reformat .mkv files to MP4 so that I can watch a video on my Mac OS 10.15.7

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 1:15 AM

8 replies

Feb 10, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Raicya

Dear Raicya,

Thank you so much for your prompt response to my request.

I had 3 responses in all. Besides your suggestion of zamzar and Handbrake, media format converters, one other person also recommended Handbrake.

At the end I took the third person's recommendation of VLC media player as it lets various format medias play including .mkv without changing the format . As a novice in computer world I took this easiest way.

I am happy now to be able to watch the video.

Thank you so much for your response. I hadn't posted any request to Apple Support Community for a couple of years and I forgot how valuable it is.

With best wishes,

Feb 10, 2023 6:04 PM in response to dialabrain

Dear dialabrain,

Thank you very much for your prompt and the excellent reply to my request.

I had 3 responses in all. They are all great informative replies. However, I took your recommendation as VLC media player lets multiple formatted file play/read without changing the format.

As a novice in computer world VLC player is the easiest to me to handle( download and install).

Thank you very much again and I am enjoying watching my videos.

I had forgotten how valuable the Apple Support Community is as I hadn't posted any for the past couple of years. It's a great place to find a solution when I face a brick wall.

With best wishes,

Feb 10, 2023 6:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

Dear VikingOSX,

Thank you very much for your prompt response to my request.

I had 3 replies in all. Handbrake was also recommended by another person.

However, as a novice in computer world I took the easiest way ( I can handle downloading and installation)- no format change, by installing VLC media player and now I can watch my videos on my computer and mirror it on my Panasonic TV.

Your reply also reminded me that my Panasonic TV allows watching external input such as USB/SD card. So what I did very first thing was actually to try to see what Panasonic TV said when I inserted my USB stick. Unfortunately it said it cannot open the file and I realised I had to change the USB's format to watch it in this way.

Thus next option to me was your recommendation to try VLC which was also recommended by other person.

I had forgotten how valuable the Apple Support Community is as I didn't post any for a while. Getting very helpful and precise replies from level 10 members is an awesome experience. I thank you very much again.

With best wishes,

any program or converter to reformat .mkv files to MP4 so that I can watch it on my mac OS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.