Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I turn find my iPhone off before beginning Quickstart process to new phone?

I want to make sure I do this part of it correctly, after I have backed up the old phone, the XR, and before I begin the Quickstart process should I at that point turn find my iPhone off on the old phone?

And other than signing out of iCloud on the old phone, is there anything else I should do?

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 8:04 AM

No. You don't need to turn off Find My iPhone at all for Quickstart.

click here ➜ Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You only need to turn it off, if you are planning on selling, giving away or trading in your current iPhone. In which case you should erase your iPhone entirely by following the steps here ➡️ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you are not planning on getting rid of your current iPhone at this time you can keep it as is and keep Find My turned on as well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2023 8:04 AM in response to randyaaaa

No. You don't need to turn off Find My iPhone at all for Quickstart.

click here ➜ Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

You only need to turn it off, if you are planning on selling, giving away or trading in your current iPhone. In which case you should erase your iPhone entirely by following the steps here ➡️ What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you are not planning on getting rid of your current iPhone at this time you can keep it as is and keep Find My turned on as well.

Feb 9, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank you, yes I am trading it into Verizon for the new phone so I will follow instructions on how to do that thank you.

The other very important question is I want to make sure all of our photos are Transferred from the old phone to the new phone, I know they are in the cloud and I have already checked but how do I make certain they show up on the new phone!

I have photos turned on in the iCloud section of the phone, I’ve always been curious what it means if you turn that off for something like photos.

Feb 9, 2023 12:34 PM in response to randyaaaa

If you can see the Photos at https://icloud.com in the Photos app there, then they should be transferred to the new iPhone when you turn on the iCloud Photos setting in Settings ➜ Photos, or the Photos section in the iCloud settings. Its the same setting that can be found in 2 different locations.

If you turn if off, in Photos or in iCloud, it would stop syncing the photos to iCloud, so any new photos would stop being stored in iCloud, and anything you delete or change on the iPhone would not be reflected on iCloud.

Turning it off, does not delete the photos from iCloud.com however.

Do I turn find my iPhone off before beginning Quickstart process to new phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.