Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions not being respected on External Drive connected to M2 Pro Mac Mini?

I have a new ThunderBay 4 connected to a new M2 Pro Mac Mini (using SoftRAID to manage the RAID). Folder permissions are not being respected on the RAID e.g. setting a folder to be only readable by the owner does not work and any users connecting to the Mac Mini on the network can see all folders and files on the ThunderBay 4 irrespective of the permissions. I had a long call with Apple and the engineer has escalated but I was wondering if this is a known issue with either Ventura 13.2 or the new M2 Pro (Mac Mini)? If you are on Ventura 13.2 and have an external drive you might want to check that the permissions are still being respected...

Mac mini (2023 with M2 Pro)

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 9:38 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Feb 10, 2023 10:50 PM in response to Barney-15E

I agree, you can not override logging in with permissions, but you can change permissions for files, folders or disks to determine which users can view and alter files on the computer and even block access to them. I have checked a pre-Ventura OS and indeed permissions worked perfectly. In the example I provided above no user apart from an administrator should have had access to Thunderbay.

Feb 10, 2023 10:25 AM in response to Antony-D-Emanuele

I’m not sure if you missed my point, or the set up is not what I understand.

If they log into that Mac with that account and have access to the external drives, then, if they login with file sharing, no matter what you put in that file sharing dialogue they will have the same access to those drives as they would, if they logged in directly to the Mac

Feb 10, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Barney-15E

What I have described is accessing the Mac Mini and external drive over the network ie not logging into the Mac directly.

If I set up permissions so that a user can not access a volume would it matter if they accessed over the network or logged into the Mac Mini directly, surely the permissions should be respected either way? I am the only user with admin rights.

Feb 10, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Antony-D-Emanuele

With respect to permissions, Logging in directly on the Mac == Logging in via File Sharing.

They are essentially one and the same with respect to access to anything on the Mac.

You cannot override that with sharing permissions.

You can create Sharing Only users and control exactly what they have access to in the File Sharing System Settings.

If they have an account on the host Mac, and they use the same credentials to access the Mac via File Sharing, they will have exactly the same access as if they logged into the account directly on the Mac.

Feb 11, 2023 3:05 AM in response to Barney-15E

The permissions on the external (get info) reflect those on the system preferences ie other users should not have access to the external drive (and permissions were applied to enclosed items). I went through all these steps with the Apple engineer and we both ran out of ideas thus why escalated. This is likely a Ventura issue (I have also reported to OWC just in case it is a SoftRAID issue)... I suspect this issue is present on other systems but may not be immediately apparent...

Just as an additional note, when I set up my new system it came with 13.1 and I installed 13.2. I also had the file sharing issue others were reporting, ie unable to connect to the Mac Mini from other computers. I erased the Mac Mini, restored to factory settings, and reinstalled Ventura 13.2 and this seemed to resolve that particular issue.

Permissions not being respected on External Drive connected to M2 Pro Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.