Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight doesn't open PDF files (macOS Ventura 13.2)

Quick summary: Spotlight incorrectly labels PDF files as "Finder" files (showing a horizontally squeezed Finder icon next to the PDF file name in the Spotlight results, see screenshot), rather than the default Open With app (usually Preview). Clicking on a file in the results will simply close the Spotlight results list, and will not open the PDF file. Searching the same term in the Finder window search correctly finds the same results, labels them with the correct default Open With app, and opens them correctly.

More detail:

When using Spotlight, searching a word like "taxes" will bring up various results, including multiple PDFs (files with .pdf extension) with "taxes" in the name or contents, but a horizontally warped "Finder" icon (see screenshot) appears next to the result rather than the Preview icon. When clicking on that result (using a single click, double click, control-click, command-click, click-hold, or any other shortcut), the Spotlight result window closes. Opening Spotlight again, that same results list is still there. Same result.

Troubleshooting: In Finder, I went to a PDF > Get Info, confirmed Preview was default, and I then changed it to Finder. and did a Change All, so Safari was then the default app for PDF files, and I then changed them all back to Preview again, just as a troubleshooting effort. Nothing changed, problem persists.

Finder search works correctly for PDF files:

In Finder, I can go to the Spotlight magnifying glass in the top right corner of a Finder window, enter the same search term as in Spotlight above, and then I will see all files listed with the correct app icon, which also open correctly when clicked In other words, the "taxes" PDF that appeared incorrectly (with the warped Finder icon) in Spotlight appears CORRECTLY via the search tool in Finder, and clicking on that result opens the PDF in Preview, which does not happen in Spotlight.

I have not verified if this same error happens with other file extensions.

macOS Ventura 13.2

MacBook Air M2 2022

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 11:14 AM

In dropbox forum I found a solution. The problem is the new folder of dropbox doesn't have permission. Whit this solution now is work fine to me too!

Krisztián K. Say:

Add Cloud Storage folder to System settings - Siri and Spotlight - Privacy, this works fine for me.
(sorry my system is Hungarian)
I tested it on my Intel based Mac Mini and M1 MacBook Pro

Folder path:
~/Library/CloudStorage

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2023 11:14 AM in response to bms1

In dropbox forum I found a solution. The problem is the new folder of dropbox doesn't have permission. Whit this solution now is work fine to me too!

Krisztián K. Say:

Add Cloud Storage folder to System settings - Siri and Spotlight - Privacy, this works fine for me.
(sorry my system is Hungarian)
I tested it on my Intel based Mac Mini and M1 MacBook Pro

Folder path:
~/Library/CloudStorage

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Feb 9, 2023 9:00 PM in response to bms1

bms1 wrote:

Quick summary: Spotlight incorrectly labels PDF files as "Finder" files (showing a horizontally squeezed Finder icon next to the PDF file name in the Spotlight results, see screenshot), rather than the default Open With app (usually Preview). Clicking on a file in the results will simply close the Spotlight results list, and will not open the PDF file. Searching the same term in the Finder window search correctly finds the same results, labels them with the correct default Open With app, and opens them correctly.

More detail:

When using Spotlight, searching a word like "taxes" will bring up various results, including multiple PDFs (files with .pdf extension) with "taxes" in the name or contents, but a horizontally warped "Finder" icon (see screenshot) appears next to the result rather than the Preview icon. When clicking on that result (using a single click, double click, control-click, command-click, click-hold, or any other shortcut), the Spotlight result window closes. Opening Spotlight again, that same results list is still there. Same result.

Troubleshooting: In Finder, I went to a PDF > Get Info, confirmed Preview was default, and I then changed it to Finder. and did a Change All, so Safari was then the default app for PDF files, and I then changed them all back to Preview again, just as a troubleshooting effort. Nothing changed, problem persists.

Finder search works correctly for PDF files:
In Finder, I can go to the Spotlight magnifying glass in the top right corner of a Finder window, enter the same search term as in Spotlight above, and then I will see all files listed with the correct app icon, which also open correctly when clicked In other words, the "taxes" PDF that appeared incorrectly (with the warped Finder icon) in Spotlight appears CORRECTLY via the search tool in Finder, and clicking on that result opens the PDF in Preview, which does not happen in Spotlight.

I have not verified if this same error happens with other file extensions.

macOS Ventura 13.2
MacBook Air M2 2022

Your screen shot shows PDF.. document

Get info should be Preview if that is your preferred default(?)

If you Control click on a PDF> Open With Choose Preview.app >Change All

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk utility repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Feb 9, 2023 9:00 PM in response to leroydouglas

I appreciate the troubleshooting advice.

I’ve read elsewhere on the discussions forum that this is actually pinned down to a Dropbox problem - and indeed these problems PDFs are actually hidden in an old unlinked Dropbox directory that somehow copied into a Library folder when I restore from Time Machine Backup to a new Mac. I’ll return here to post the update once I’ve confirmed the issue is resolved after clearing out that duplicate / unlinked Dropbox directory which is actually where those oddly malfunctioning Spotlight results are located.

Feb 26, 2023 11:24 AM in response to bms1

bms1 wrote:

I appreciate the troubleshooting advice.

I’ve read elsewhere on the discussions forum that this is actually pinned down to a Dropbox problem - and indeed these problems PDFs are actually hidden in an old unlinked Dropbox directory that somehow copied into a Library folder when I restore from Time Machine Backup to a new Mac. I’ll return here to post the update once I’ve confirmed the issue is resolved after clearing out that duplicate / unlinked Dropbox directory which is actually where those oddly malfunctioning Spotlight results are located.

Ventura macOS 13.x.x

ref:

Expected changes with Dropbox for macOS

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Spotlight doesn't open PDF files (macOS Ventura 13.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.