Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i delete photos and videos from my device but keep on icloud

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:42 PM

iCloud is basically a synching service. Anything you delete from one device will be deleted from all devices and iCloud. To keep your photos and videos safe, you should save them to your computer or an external drive.

2 replies

Feb 9, 2023 7:01 PM in response to frazzm737

The Photo app and iCloud sync with each other - so you can't delete it from the Photo app without removing it from iCloud.

If it is to save on space, then you can check whether Optimize iPhone Storage is activated.

The feature is enabled by default, but check anyway. Go to:

Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Photos.

Alternatively. Then you can move your photos to iCloud Drive. That way, your photos stay in iCloud, but you can offload them from your iPhone's memory.

1. Create a folder in the Files app (in the iCloud Drive section)

2. Open the Photo app, select the photos you want to move

3. Tap the Share button (square with up arrow) and select "Save to Files"

4. Find the folder you created and save there.

Go to the folder in iCloud Drive. Find your photos and mark them. (Remember that it may take some time before the images are uploaded, it depends on how many you upload and your connection). Tap the small round icon with 3 dots in the lower right corner and select "Remove Downloads" - this will offload the images and you'll see a cloud with an arrow pointing down from each image.

Your photos are still in iCloud, but do not take up space on your iPhone, and you will always be able to see them from your iPhone.

Now you can actually also delete the pictures from the Photo app, but BEFORE YOU DO THAT - check https://icloud.com > Files that your pictures are there. It would be a shame to delete the photos from the Photo app, only to find out that the photos in iCloud Drive were not uploaded.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.