Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade my ios from 16.2 to 15 on my ipad pro 12.9 4th generation?

Hello. I have an important app that isn't working correctly on ios 16.2. I need to revert back to 15.x for the app to be compatible. Is there a way to do this?

I do not see ipsw for my particular ipad on the ipsw.me website. It is ipad pro 12.9 4th generation.

Is there a safe way to do this without losing data?

Thanks,

Dawn

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 9, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 4:33 AM

Rolling-back to an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS is not possible.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

If Apps no longer work properly following update to a more recent version of the OS, you’ll need to seek assistance from the related App Developer - as only they can resolve issues with their App.

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Perhaps consider that iOS/iPadOS updates include both functional and essential security updates. Restoring an earlier version of the OS would undermine the security of your device and your personal data. 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 4:33 AM in response to Dawnpgeo

Rolling-back to an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS is not possible.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

If Apps no longer work properly following update to a more recent version of the OS, you’ll need to seek assistance from the related App Developer - as only they can resolve issues with their App.

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Perhaps consider that iOS/iPadOS updates include both functional and essential security updates. Restoring an earlier version of the OS would undermine the security of your device and your personal data. 

Can I downgrade my ios from 16.2 to 15 on my ipad pro 12.9 4th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.