Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Match DRM or Not?

I'm so confused. I have my entire music library in what was iTunes and is now Music. The vast majority of this came from ripping all my CD's into iTunes but over the years there have been many, many purchases of songs and albums in the iTunes/Music Store.

I also have iTunes Match as I listen a lot to my library on my iPhone and on different computers etc.

By accident I recently clicked on the download icon for one song and noticed that whilst I didn't end up with a duplicate in the Music library, when I looked at my hard drive, I had a new m4a file of that song but with a "1" added to the end of the file name.

Looking at the audio properties of both files, the one that was downloaded is at a higher bitrate and is twice the size of the original one on my hard drive.

As I now work from home, I don't really need iTunes Match as much and so I was considering dropping it but are songs downloaded through iTunes Match DRM'd or not? I've read conflicting accounts and it seems also that if you have an Apple Music subscription (I do not), you can specify to stream and download in a lossless format but these are DRM'd. I don't seem to have an option to specify lossless for stream or download in Music (presumably because I don't have a subscription) but I do have the import function set to lossless for when I rip CD's.

I just don't want to download 22K songs only to find they are all DRM'd.

Mac Studio

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 8:29 AM

iTunes Match should either deliver your original uploaded song, or a 256k AAC matched version of it, free of DRM. This can be used to upgrade older lower bitrate tracks, and even give you DRM free copies of old 128k DRM iTunes purchases. Keep a backup of your originals just in case of mismatches, e.g. clean vs. explicit.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 8:29 AM in response to peakoverload

iTunes Match should either deliver your original uploaded song, or a 256k AAC matched version of it, free of DRM. This can be used to upgrade older lower bitrate tracks, and even give you DRM free copies of old 128k DRM iTunes purchases. Keep a backup of your originals just in case of mismatches, e.g. clean vs. explicit.

tt2

Itunes Match DRM or Not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.