Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stolen iphone

my iphone 13 is stolen and it is switched off and i can't see it on find my iphone. it shows Offline . so how can i find my phone while it is switched off? i purchased that phone one month ago on 8th January 2023. i still have all the insurance and the original bill of that iphone. tell me the procedure that how can i recover my stolen iphone?

iPhone 13

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 10:14 AM

If your device was indeed STOLEN - vice simply misplaced - your phone is GONE!

In all reasonable likelihood you’re NEVER getting it back so you should proceed accordingly.

In addition to the steps already provided, be VERY CAUTIOUS re: future messages claiming to be from Apple (or sometimes the police).

These messages generally state that they’ve found your phone and request that you enter your Apple credentials into a VERY polished and “official-looking” website — the URL to which they have ‘conveniently’ furnished — to facilitate the phone’s return to you.

You might receive this message today or 6-months from now. Perhaps multiple times.

It is criminal SPEAR-PHISHING … a precisely-targeted attack attempting to steal your credentials; thereby allowing the crooks to “crack” into your phone AND takeover your AppleID as well.

It’s NEVER from Apple; and no legitimate entity will EVER ask for your Apple credentials or other personal info.

DELETE & IGNORE. PROVIDE NOTHING.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2023 10:14 AM in response to ravirajsinh244

If your device was indeed STOLEN - vice simply misplaced - your phone is GONE!

In all reasonable likelihood you’re NEVER getting it back so you should proceed accordingly.

In addition to the steps already provided, be VERY CAUTIOUS re: future messages claiming to be from Apple (or sometimes the police).

These messages generally state that they’ve found your phone and request that you enter your Apple credentials into a VERY polished and “official-looking” website — the URL to which they have ‘conveniently’ furnished — to facilitate the phone’s return to you.

You might receive this message today or 6-months from now. Perhaps multiple times.

It is criminal SPEAR-PHISHING … a precisely-targeted attack attempting to steal your credentials; thereby allowing the crooks to “crack” into your phone AND takeover your AppleID as well.

It’s NEVER from Apple; and no legitimate entity will EVER ask for your Apple credentials or other personal info.

DELETE & IGNORE. PROVIDE NOTHING.

Feb 10, 2023 9:57 AM in response to ravirajsinh244

so how can i find my phone while it is switched off?

The phone is not going to show up if it has been powered off, the battery has run down or the phone does not have an Internet connection where it is located.

Sometimes, a "Last Known Location" will appear for a day or so after the phone has become offline.

Not really anything else that you can do at this point, except keep trying.

I'm sorry, but a tiny fraction of phones that are stolen are ever recovered, so you will need to keep your expectations on the very low side.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Be very careful if you receive a message from "Apple" or "Apple Service", etc notifying you that the phone has been found and you just need to "provide a few more details" so the phone can be returned to you. Apple will never send a message like this. Things like this are always scams that are trying to trick you into revealing personal information, your Apple ID, Password, etc so the bad guys can get into the phone.

Feb 10, 2023 9:58 AM in response to ravirajsinh244

ravirajsinh244 wrote:

can't apple track my phone using IMEI number of from any other details? because the status of the shows offline on find my iphone.

No.

If it appears in Find My but says offline, it may still be trackable even if powered off so long as the battery has some power via the find my network.

The carriers can track devices using the IMEI, but will only do so when presented with a court order to do so, which is usually only issues when someone’s life is in imminent danger, and the phone must be powered on and connected to the cellular network to do so.

If you have insurance on it, file a claim with the insurance carrier.

Feb 10, 2023 10:09 AM in response to ravirajsinh244

No, Apple does not get involved with lost or stolen phones. Even if they did, they would not be able to do anything more than what you can do.

The carrier can use the IMEI....which they already have....in emergency missing person cases that almost always require a court order.

You can ask the carrier to blacklist the phone, but that will remove the cell service from the phone, so it won't be able to report its location using the Find My option if it tries to come back online.

Feb 10, 2023 10:52 AM in response to ravirajsinh244

can i erase my iphone and still keep a hope to find my iphone? because i have many crucial details and documents under it.

You cannot erase the phone unless and until it appears in Find My.

As far as your "important crucial details and documents".......you do have a current backup of the phone since these things are so important to you, correct? You can use the backup to restore data to the new phone that you purchase.

stolen iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.