Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K can't find Mac media library

Has anyone had a problem connecting to your media library of MAC OS Ventura with the Apple TV 4K when choosing the Computer icon on the home screen?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 3:00 PM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2023 5:49 PM in response to dennisfromhuntsville

• Home Sharing requires that both devices are on the same home network. For Wi-Fi, that means the same SSID network name. Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support.
  • Home Sharing requires setting the same Apple ID account for Home Sharing on both devices. Different account will not be visible/​connectable.
  • On macOS Ventura, activate Mac Home Sharing in System Settings﹥General﹥Sharing﹥☑︎ Media Sharing﹥ⓘ﹥☑︎ Home Sharing.

Mar 17, 2023 5:41 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Try it again on your computer. I jhave had this same issue for almost a month and after hours spent trying to reconfigure and reset and hours on the phone with Apple Support . . . . Voila! All of a sudden it works! Perfectly. I believe it was an Apple glitch but rather than take responsibility and say "Hey guys - we're having a bit of an issue here" they let you think the trouble is on YOUR side or your Network. I've been an Apple and iTunes user since the VERY first one but this is something about Apple I truly detest!

Feb 11, 2023 1:11 AM in response to dennisfromhuntsville

All of the points which you made have been verified even with Apple Support on the phone with me sharing screenshots, all to no avail so far. A very perplexing problem.

Verify that all the shared libraries on your various computers have unique library names, as that is the only way to tell them apart on Apple TV.

Not sure what else to say. It is working for me, for both older and newer versions macOS intermixed.

BTW, two older Apple computers with older OS's are visible as long as iTunes is running in the background. With OS Ventura, iTunes is not present.

That is as expected. When iTunes was “split up” with macOS Catalina 10.15, that meant that Home Sharing had to be organized a bit differently too. As it is now configured through System Settings, it no longer requires the associated application to be running; instead the system software takes care of that.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Feb 10, 2023 7:06 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi and thank you for your comments. All of the points which you made have been verified even with Apple Support on the phone with me sharing screenshots, all to no avail so far. A very perplexing problem. BTW, two older Apple computers with older OS's are visible as long as iTunes is running in the background. With OS Ventura, iTunes is not present.

Mar 18, 2023 10:23 AM in response to AppleTV_4K

Thank you so much for this reply about the issue! Mine is also now mysteriously working just as it should. I had just given up trying and had not even bothered to keep trying because it was just so frustrating. I think that Apple did an OS update since I had tried last and that might explain this. I share your feelings about how Apple just sometimes doesn't seem to come across as very transparent about some of these technical glitches .

Apple TV 4K can't find Mac media library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.