You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook air M1 2020 won't charge the battery since by sons puppy chewed the cord. i have tried a new working cord and charger

what do i need to do to get my macbook air M1 2020 to charge the battery

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 3:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 3:49 PM

Hello paulsparky,

If you have already tried a new working cord and charger and the battery is still not charging, the issue may be with the MacBook itself. The battery charging circuitry inside the laptop may have been damaged.

I recommend having it checked out at an Apple Store. They will probably be able to diagnose the issue and advise on the best course of action to repair your MacBook.

In the meantime, you can try resetting the SMC on your MacBook Air. This can sometimes resolve issues with battery charging. To reset the SMC on your MacBook, follow these steps

1. Shut down your MacBook.
  2. Then, hold down the Control + Option + Shift + Power button for 10 seconds.
  3. Release all the keys and press the Power button to turn on your MacBook.

If the battery still won't charge after resetting the SMC, the issue will require you to take your MacBook in for service.

Hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2023 3:49 PM in response to paulsparky

Hello paulsparky,

If you have already tried a new working cord and charger and the battery is still not charging, the issue may be with the MacBook itself. The battery charging circuitry inside the laptop may have been damaged.

I recommend having it checked out at an Apple Store. They will probably be able to diagnose the issue and advise on the best course of action to repair your MacBook.

In the meantime, you can try resetting the SMC on your MacBook Air. This can sometimes resolve issues with battery charging. To reset the SMC on your MacBook, follow these steps

1. Shut down your MacBook.
  2. Then, hold down the Control + Option + Shift + Power button for 10 seconds.
  3. Release all the keys and press the Power button to turn on your MacBook.

If the battery still won't charge after resetting the SMC, the issue will require you to take your MacBook in for service.

Hope this helps.

macbook air M1 2020 won't charge the battery since by sons puppy chewed the cord. i have tried a new working cord and charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.