Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to I unlock my phone I just bought that has owner icloud locked

Posted on Feb 10, 2023 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 2:06 AM

You're not mistaken. If a used iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing the account ID and password, or by carrying out the steps detailed in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support (as he should have done before selling it).

If the OP is unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid he will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it, nor find the previous owner, and neither can the websites that offer to unlock it for a fee: these are scams.

The OP should if possible return it to wherever he bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 2:06 AM in response to Staxfiximprove

You're not mistaken. If a used iOS device has been 'Activation locked' then only the previous owner can unlock it, either by providing the account ID and password, or by carrying out the steps detailed in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support (as he should have done before selling it).

If the OP is unable to contact him to do this then I'm afraid he will not be able to use the device - there is no other way of unlocking it at all. Apple cannot unlock it, nor find the previous owner, and neither can the websites that offer to unlock it for a fee: these are scams.

The OP should if possible return it to wherever he bought it and ask for a refund as in this event the device is completely useless.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.