Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro M2 Max Wi-Fi Unusable

I recently purchased a Pro M2 Max and the wifi is completely unusable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a hardware issue?

Access Point (AP): Netgear Wax 610 Wi-Fi 6

Wi-Fi Settings: Combined 2.4G-5G bands under same SSID

Devices that work fine with the same AP: Macbook Air M1, iPad 6, iPhone 14 Max

Bluetooth: Works

Ethernet: Works

Similar Thread: Mac Mini M2 wifi issues - Apple Community

Symptoms

• Connection drops completely every 1-10 minutes randomly or completely stops
  • Signal strength drops to almost zero randomly
  • Varying packet loss up to 100%
  • Pinging 1.1.1.1 shows this bizarre pattern in the animation bellow

Tried and Failed

• Restarting many times
  • Starting MacOS in safe mode
  • Diagnostics (both in normal and safe mode)
  • Disabling AWDL with `sudo ifconfig awdl0 down`

Screencast

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 11:01 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 11, 2023 11:44 AM in response to BeverageJoe

Temporary Workaround:

This is definitely a real issue that Apple needs to fix. Here's a workaround until Apple provides an update 🤞

1. Split your combined SSID into 2 SSIDs: e.g.: my-wifi to my-wifi2G and my-wifi5G
  2. Connect to my-wifi5G: This fixes the package dropping issue, but the internet speed is still 25% of what it should be)
  3. Run `sudo ifconfig awdl0 down` in a terminal. This fixes the speed issue, but kills Airdrop, Airplay, ..., etc.

Hope this helps so you don't have to waste hours like I did.

Feb 19, 2023 8:52 PM in response to BeverageJoe

I have this issue for ages. It is present on a 2017 MacBook Pro, M1 Air and M2 Max. I also use the terminal to kill AWDL.

It affects anything streaming related, conference calls (Skype, zoom, meet, etc) and also game streaming.

As far as I know there is no permanent solution. But disabling AirDrop & Handoff helps. (you just get a super expensive machine with half the nice features)

Some information around the web:

https://github.com/jamestut/awdlkiller

https://www.meter.com/mac-osx-awdl-psa

(definitely not fixed on 13.2.1 contrary to what they state here)

Feb 19, 2023 9:13 PM in response to BeverageJoe

BeverageJoe Said:

"Macbook Pro M2 Max Wi-Fi Unusable: I recently purchased a Pro M2 Max and the wifi is completely unusable. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a hardware issue?"

-------

Return This:

What risk a faulty Mac? Yo have 14 days to return this. So, if it has been less than 14 days, then I'd say return this. It seems to be a faulty device.

Macbook Pro M2 Max Wi-Fi Unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.