Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync or Restore New iPhone XR from iPod touch Backup?

Hi all,

I apologize for the cross post (also in iPod), but wasn't sure if iPod or iPhone was the appropriate forum.

Normally I'd use the Google machine for this, but my searches weren't very fruitful or were mixed conclusions. We repurposed an iPhone XR for my son's first phone. He has an older (6th gen) iPod touch that he's been using. When I tried to transfer everything directly upon phone setup, the phone told me syncing from an iPod touch was not supported. So, can I restore from from an iTunes backup? I saw somewhere where it said it looked like it worked, but they found many settings/features missing from their phone because it was backed up from the touch. Not sure how reliable that info is.

If restoring from the Touch won't work, is there any alternative to transferring Apps & Data? I can certainly get the photos and such manually if I want to, but obviously would rather not spend the time.

Thanks!

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2023 9:51 PM

Updating my own post in case it helps someone else. I got impatient looking for the right answer, so I went ahead and attempted to setup the iPhone XR using the iPod touch backup in iTunes.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to have worked just fine. Obviously some old apps that were on the iPod that have compatibility issues, but other than that it looks like everything is golden.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2023 9:51 PM in response to kanderna

Updating my own post in case it helps someone else. I got impatient looking for the right answer, so I went ahead and attempted to setup the iPhone XR using the iPod touch backup in iTunes.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to have worked just fine. Obviously some old apps that were on the iPod that have compatibility issues, but other than that it looks like everything is golden.

Sync or Restore New iPhone XR from iPod touch Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.