Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS13.2 Photo App Error 5600

I have had a lot of trouble with the Photo app on OSX versions over the last few years. I have had to rebuild five libraries since moving from iPhoto. The rebuild process is to copy all the original photos from the app packages itself and re import into a new library. This means starting from scratch again and again. The problem is due to the Photo app not being able to open or repair the library. If this keeps happening I will be looking for a new photo storage and editing app. This issue has been on two different MacBook Pro's.

The last two times I have had this error.

The last time there was a work around to create a new library and switch to the original which worked then but not this time. My main library is stored on an external SSD drive and has been working fine until now. I am wondering now if the errors appear after an OS update.

Please let me now if anyone has had the same experience.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 6:00 AM

Perhaps is the external volume, where you are keeping the library, not supported for Photos. earlier systemversions managed occasionally to work with a library on an unsupported external volume, butPhotos 8 on Ventura can no longer work with the libraries at all, if the external volume is not suitable.

Please check, if the file system format of your SSD is macOS Extended (Journaled) or APFs, and thatthe external drive has a wired connection, not a network connection, and has not been used for Time Machine backups, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

As a test, enable the ignore ownership on this volome flag.

If the external drive in not correctly formatted, mov ethe library to a differnet drive and format the external drive.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 6:00 AM in response to Mel64

Perhaps is the external volume, where you are keeping the library, not supported for Photos. earlier systemversions managed occasionally to work with a library on an unsupported external volume, butPhotos 8 on Ventura can no longer work with the libraries at all, if the external volume is not suitable.

Please check, if the file system format of your SSD is macOS Extended (Journaled) or APFs, and thatthe external drive has a wired connection, not a network connection, and has not been used for Time Machine backups, see: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

As a test, enable the ignore ownership on this volome flag.

If the external drive in not correctly formatted, mov ethe library to a differnet drive and format the external drive.

Feb 13, 2023 5:46 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately my Photo library is too big to stay on the laptop hard drive. The external ssd drive is a USB-C native drive(no adaptors) formatted APFS using the disk utility. Ownership is disabled. It was working fine last time I used it then came up with the error again the other day as it did before. The drive is reporting no errors.

Mac OS13.2 Photo App Error 5600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.