Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN is missing from System Settings

I am unable to manually create a VPN connection on a newish Macbook M1 in Ventura 13.1.

There is no VPN entry in system settings.

When I search for VPN in system settings there are 6 hits, VPN is not one of them. One of the search hits is "Show VPN status in the menu bar" under Control Center. When that entry is selected, Control Center is displayed, but there is no entry for VPN status in the menu bar.

During the system settings VPN search I clicked on something (I don't remember what) and got a dialog that said: You can't open the "VPN" settings pane because it is not available to you at this time.

What is required to have a VPN entry in System Settings?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 6:53 AM

14 replies

Feb 17, 2023 8:59 AM in response to spiderkarmaaa

Here's some food for thought:

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are they are not very secure from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites. 

Feb 16, 2023 8:15 AM in response to virginiafromlowell

You need to check with the 3rd party vendor, Strong VPN. On their macOS setup page they state the following:

The app is compatible with Yosemite (OS X 10.10), El Capitan (OS X 10.11), Sierra (macOS 10.12), High Sierra (macOS 10.13), Mojave (macOS 10.14) and Catalina (Jazz) (macOS 10.15)

That seems to indicate they haven't been keeping up with the latest macOS versions. You can ask for a refund and switch VPN vendors. There are many to choose from.

Feb 16, 2023 8:47 AM in response to anusitfromthung-kru

Please elaborate on precisely what you mean.

If using the macOS VPN built-in configuration add the VPN connection and then go to System Settings -> Control Center and scroll down. The VPN entry should be there at the bottom and you can change it from "Don't show in the Menu Bar" to "Show in the Menu Bar". There will also be a new VPN entry under System Settings.

If you are talking about a 3rd party VPN App such as Strong VPN, see my previous comments. 3rd party VPN providers need to make sure they are compatible with Ventura and it if their client software is too old it may require changing VPN providers. Or upgrading to a newer version of the VPN client that supports Ventura.

Feb 16, 2023 5:03 PM in response to James Brickley

Thank James Brickley for your kind response. Yes, I did go to System Settings—however, I mean macOS VPN built-in configuration. I never see an icon showing VPN (Left pane). Even though, I go Control Center and scroll down. I have never seen a menu about VPN. That's I would explain more. I may give you more information about machine.

Here is MacBook Pro M2 (14 Inches). I just bought it last week.

Feb 17, 2023 7:35 AM in response to anusitfromthung-kru

Direct reply to anusitfromthung-kru

Look at the screenshot in this thread. Go to System Settings > Network. Click the 3-dots (ellipsis) menu button. Create a VPN connection and adjust your settings. When you go back to System Settings, there will be a VPN entry. You can also choose to show VPN on the menu item bar if you go to the Control Center and change that option.

anusitfromthung-kru wrote:

Thank James Brickley for your kind response. Yes, I did go to System Settings—however, I mean macOS VPN built-in configuration. I never see an icon showing VPN (Left pane). Even though, I go Control Center and scroll down. I have never seen a menu about VPN. That's I would explain more. I may give you more information about machine.
Here is MacBook Pro M2 (14 Inches). I just bought it last week.

VPN is missing from System Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.