Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with iTunes iMac, Remove protection

So I been trying to get the protection removed "Legally" to be able to use the songs. I have the subscription and can download the songs but still says protected. I don't know what I did but I was playing around and redownloaded an album and got it to finally work but don't know how I did it and can't seem to get the rest of my songs to follow suit. What's the easiest way to get this to work.

THANK YOU!

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2023 1:51 PM

MåcMan wrote:

Doesn't the subscription work the same as purchasing the music?

No.

Subscribed music has DRM. Subscribed music is available only for as long as the Apple Music subscription remains active. Subscribed music typically cannot be incorporated or copied into non-DRM’d uses. Subscribed music is rented music.

Music purchased from Apple typically does not have DRM. Purchased music is less likely to become unavailable at some future point, though you will want to keep copies of purchased locally. (Sometimes some vendor, label, or artist involved decides to withdraw some media, which makes downloading or re-downloading even purchased content a problem. Have backups.)

Whether the terms of any associated music purchase agreement permit a particular use is a separate discussion.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2023 1:51 PM in response to MåcMan

MåcMan wrote:

Doesn't the subscription work the same as purchasing the music?

No.

Subscribed music has DRM. Subscribed music is available only for as long as the Apple Music subscription remains active. Subscribed music typically cannot be incorporated or copied into non-DRM’d uses. Subscribed music is rented music.

Music purchased from Apple typically does not have DRM. Purchased music is less likely to become unavailable at some future point, though you will want to keep copies of purchased locally. (Sometimes some vendor, label, or artist involved decides to withdraw some media, which makes downloading or re-downloading even purchased content a problem. Have backups.)

Whether the terms of any associated music purchase agreement permit a particular use is a separate discussion.

Feb 12, 2023 1:41 PM in response to MrHoffman

I understand the DRM portion. I had an album that wasn't working to get it into iMovie, I did something to redownload it and I went back to iMovie and drug it back into it and it work. I guess what im trying to figure out is the process to do it for all my music. Doesn't the subscription work the same as purchasing the music? Or do I need to buy the album on top of the subscription to be able to use the music in iMovie Ect?

I went back to iTunes Store to purchase the album that I already downloaded with the subscription, and redownloaded it and it worked, but when I did it for the other album it didn't. This is the issue I'm trying to resolve.

Feb 12, 2023 2:00 PM in response to MåcMan

Apple Music (the subscription) and Apple Music (the app) and iTunes Store (the iOS and iPadOS app) works fine with both subscribed (rented) music and with purchased music, so long as you keep track of which is which.

On macOS, you will want to enable access to the iTunes Store (the Apple sales portal) in Apple Music (the app), and download from there.

On iOS and iPadOS, the downloads of purchased content happen from iTunes Store (the app).

Where folks can get in trouble with purchased content is assuming that purchased music can always be re-downloaded.

Above ignores applicable purchase agreements, contracts which can (usually do) limit other uses of purchased music.

The re-use of the same terms for different things—apps, stores, etc.—gets very confusing here, yes.

Help with iTunes iMac, Remove protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.