Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF missing in Mail

Hi I received a mail with a PDF attachment which I viewed from a WiFi connection. The next time I went to view the same PDF it is not showing as an icon just as an extension file name. <file name.pdf> Does that mean the PDF has been erased? Completely baffled!

MacBook Air 13″, 13.1

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 11:30 AM

Thank you for your reply, and info.

Seems you may have a setting (Ventura) that saved the pdf attachment elsewhere.

Apple Support has an article online:

View, save or delete email attachments in Mail on Mac – Apple Support

says (at the bottom):

"Mail automatically downloads attachments you receive based on the download option you set in Account Information settings in Mail."

Also, as it may be useful for any other surprise "inconsisties" that may appear:

Here's a link to the "Mail User Guide for MacOS Ventura" that the above article comes from:

Mail User Guide for Mac – Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 11:30 AM in response to s_tumbi

Thank you for your reply, and info.

Seems you may have a setting (Ventura) that saved the pdf attachment elsewhere.

Apple Support has an article online:

View, save or delete email attachments in Mail on Mac – Apple Support

says (at the bottom):

"Mail automatically downloads attachments you receive based on the download option you set in Account Information settings in Mail."

Also, as it may be useful for any other surprise "inconsisties" that may appear:

Here's a link to the "Mail User Guide for MacOS Ventura" that the above article comes from:

Mail User Guide for Mac – Apple Support

Feb 13, 2023 10:07 PM in response to s_tumbi

If you sent a reply to the sender including the original message:

<file name.pdf> would likely appear in that reply instead of the pdf attachment.

Wondering if you are sure that you are looking at the original eMail with attachment.

or

Maybe check the archive / bin / trash to see if the original was accidentally deleted.

Feb 15, 2023 1:54 AM in response to brbo

Thanks very helpful in general and yes I'm running Ventura 13.1 But all of these things have been checked even the library where all the PDF's are saved. It's no big deal, to be sure in future I will manually download all attachments on receipt, to be certain I can find them. I normally do this but on this occasion, I was on holiday and just looked cursorily, and then my wife said could I forward this mail (with important architectural drawings) a week later and pfff, simply not there. Was annoying at the time but hey I'm over it...!

Thanks for your time and trouble - appreciate it.

PDF missing in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.