Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmark Troubleshooting

At Apple's suggestion I'm asking this question again.. hoping for some help...

I'm trying to organise a mountain of bookmarks, but can't reposition the folders - i.e. I have 20 numerical folders that I want to organise numerically.. Simple you would think...

I've tried drag and drop in the bookmarks bar and I've tried the same in 'Edit bookmarks' but each time Safari simply drops the folder inside the nearest adjacent folder, rather than BETWEEN the two other folders.

Then if I drag it out, safari drops it inside the next nearest closed folder and so on...

Is there something I'm missing, or a method of moving them to a position between two other folders, rather than inside another closed folder? Thanks

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2023 5:33 PM

Hello davey17x,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

When dragging and moving the folders, be sure to run your cursor along the outer edge of the words, close to the drop-down arrow for the folders. This will let Safari know that you want to move it in-between the folders instead of into a folder.

You will notice a slight difference of the placement of the line showing where the folder is going to land. It will be indented slightly, or the name of a folder will be highlighted, if it is going to land within a folder.

You can learn more here: Sort, alphabetize, or rearrange bookmarks in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Kindest regards. 

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2023 5:33 PM in response to davey17x

Hello davey17x,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities.

When dragging and moving the folders, be sure to run your cursor along the outer edge of the words, close to the drop-down arrow for the folders. This will let Safari know that you want to move it in-between the folders instead of into a folder.

You will notice a slight difference of the placement of the line showing where the folder is going to land. It will be indented slightly, or the name of a folder will be highlighted, if it is going to land within a folder.

You can learn more here: Sort, alphabetize, or rearrange bookmarks in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Kindest regards. 

Bookmark Troubleshooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.